Could anyone tell me how this is done?

Im looking to do a similar shot. If anyone could give me some insight on how this might be done that would be great. Its just the end part of the commercial were there is the red back ground and he runs to the foreground stops and turns. How is that done.

Thanks

Is difficult to know exactly how is done watching the clip in low-res, because some texture is seen on the background, so it can be a red background, or as David says a greenscreen. Also its difficult to calculate the distance to the background, because the focus cannot be well appreciated.

Either of both are lighted blocking the actor, there is a toplight to draw a silhouette and a light in the floor near to the camera for the product shoot; this light is not totally blocked, so the actor can have some detail when he runs to camera.

The Focus changes with the actor.

Hope that this helps you.

ANDRONICO GONZALEZ

Cinematographer - Mexico

• Premium Member

Unless you have a green screen already up, probably the easiest idea is the red lit backdrop. That, plus crank the high end of the reds in post. You could do some testing using a digital still camera and photoshop.

-- J.S.

I'd say it's most likely a composite shot done on a greenscreen. I imagine it'd also be relatively easy to shoot for real using a red backdrop and a floor built above the ground. Shoot a take of the runner, then remove the floor and shoot a shot of the backdrop. Transition between the two in post.

It could be greenscreen, there's really no way of knowing offhand, especially from a youtube clip, but if you're going to do it yourself, there's really no reason why you couldn't do it in-camera. It looks like only a tiny bit of extra effort on set, and would then require no post work to get it to look right.