HD Wedding cameras

Austin Michaels

I was wandering what kind of low budget HD Camera would be great for shooting weddings.

Has the have XLR ports for wireless and just a good quality video image.

I was thinking of this one

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4496...r.html#includes

any ideas? Also i was wandering where i could get a 35mm Lens for HD camera lens.

Edited by Austin Michaels

• Premium Member

Again, i'd be wary about using it 'round flashes/flash photography. I havn't had a problem with my EX yet, but you know, it's there and a possibility.

Also, i'd not do tapeless for a wedding... slows you down a good amount changing out cards, with tapes you can dock their cost onto the invoice so you're not quite paying for them on a wedding shoot, and you can shoot the whole thing and archive later on.

Just my advice on it.

• Premium Member

CMOS, is a type of chip found in some video cameras, as opposed to the more prevalent CCD chips. Rolling Shutter is an image artifact caused by a CMOS chip reading from top to bottom as opposed to globally as CCD chips to. Meaning, that certain events which are VERY fast (Flashes or VERY fast action) will bend/warp or only register on part of the image, as it was only recorded by part of the chip.

CMOS cameras, in my opinion yield a very nice picture, I in fact own a CMOS PMW-EX1 from Sony, but I would NOT recommend them for work where there will be a lot of flash photography happening.... e.g. a wedding.

All of these concepts are better explained on sites such as wikipedia for types of imagers, and googling either CMOS or Rolling Shutter Effect will show you many video results.

You'll have to look over whatever camera you are considering and on bh's site, at least, under the specifications tab, such as this from a canon camera :

Image Device

3 1/3" Native 16:9 CCDs at 14

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4734...#specifications

You'll have to look around to a camera which fits you specific needs, but you'll want 3 CCD, probably HDV, tape based, a lot of batteries, good tripod, as well as some tapes. I would price you around 6000 or so for a nice set up including audio which will work for weddings as well (on camera mounted, extra stuff you never account for etc).

• Premium Member

get a tripod. monopod wont be good for long periods.

[edit hit the wrong key]

Monopods are great for mobility, but in the end, you'll probably want a good lightweight tripod which will give you all the mobility of a monopod while also opening up pans and tilts we all as giving you something to lock the camera off on for a period of time (say a 2 shot during the vows)

Ya i will look into getting a tripod then too. for the wedding part and part reception. The monopod would be great for the reception though.

Also on the camera the XH-A1 does it just use regular mini DV cassests or do you need to get the HD ones?

• Premium Member

Regular mini DV tapes will work fine. Though pick a brand and try to stick with it as each type of tape has different lubricates. Some will say there is a difference between them but in all my usage I've never seen one. I generally stick to Sony or Panasonic tapes, though.

Ya dont really want to get all new ones. I use the Sony get them from costco :)

Now i just got one more question for steadicams. Should i end up buying one for weddings? a profesional one? I made one but its not the good quality.

Also would it be smart to get a new lens?

Edited by Austin Michaels

• Premium Member

Down the line I would look into it. But I'd go with another camera rig or 2 first. Then you could set up 1 wide camera, 1 camera to catch the family, and 1 hero camera. Your wide camera can just be locked down and the others checked on occasionally

Then-after I'd look into steadycams, which re quite expensive most of the time- else you could work on getting better at hand held. Stick to what you need at first to basically cover a wedding (or any event) and then work towards the flashier stuff.

Just my opinion on the matter.

The Panasonic HCM-150 gets pretty good reviews for weeding work (I do events my self with a DVX-100).

It has 3 1/3" CCD's with pixel shifting (540x960 pxs) that yield pretty descent 720p footage. (look for videos on the net)

I would recommend you 760/60p for weddings or any "gun& run" kind of shooting. (or 1080/60i for that matter)

You can read lots of stuff about that camera for wedding work here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=163679

Thanks,

Cesar Rubio.

Cambridge Wisconsin, USA.

http://www.davidrubio3d.com/

• Premium Member

Yeah, I'll recommend the HMC150. Very economical, the 'stock' is hella cheap. It's lightweight, great battery life, the image quality, when down-resed and color corrected looks really nice.

• Premium Member

You just drag and drop it into Final Cut Pro 6.0.4

Dunno, I don't do the editing for the things I've shot on it. But I've seen them import and it's basically drag and drop.

the Panasonic uses MPEG4. So how easy is that to edit? What are the render times for an hours worth of footage?

• 6 months later...
Guest zhuo chun bei

louis vuitton outlet

Anyone know louis vuitton outlet near by? I am looking for one but never get.

I just bought this bag from http://www.eiluxury.com louis vuitton which located in New York city, it’s wonderful.