New Reel

• Premium Member

Like many others when it was uber-slow early this year I put my nose to the grindstone and churned out a new reel. It wasn't easy, but I'm still open to suggestions on tweaks... I don't think I have it in me to completely overhaul at this point, but constructive criticism for next time would be greatly appreciated.

Gus Sacks.com It can be seen here, or in HD on Vimeo if your computer can handle it and you don't mind it looking kind of choppy like it normally does: Reel on Vimeo

Thanks much. Enjoy.

Hey Gus,

I'm a little disappointed by this, because I'm generally blown away by the stuff you post. Maybe the image quality hasn't translated to vimeo, or maybe I'm at the end of one the most boring days of work in recent memory ... I can't quite put my finger on anything specific, except you should put the last shot first.

Best,

Jon.

• Premium Member

Woh, woh, wooooooh...

I do believe I need to get a better render done for the web. But I implore you to take a second look, Mr. Rosenbloom. Maybe on a day with less mind-numbing work.

Btw, a consumate Pro named Mike Drucker pulled on about 75% of the footage in that reel. I know you two have worked together before - he's my boy. Small world.

Hey Gus,

I'm a little disappointed by this, because I'm generally blown away by the stuff you post. Maybe the image quality hasn't translated to vimeo, or maybe I'm at the end of one the most boring days of work in recent memory ... I can't quite put my finger on anything specific, except you should put the last shot first.

Best,

Jon.

No wonder Drucker's always busy when I call him :rolleyes: .

Ok, instead of boring, today was really annoying, but I'm taking another look ...

I'm still disappointed. I know you have a wealth of accomplished shots to draw from, but for me, this reel isn't flowing or showcasing your eye and sense of style the way your previous reel does. The opening shot is vague. (Is it too cliche to suggest flipping the first two, so you start with the girl opening the door, and then the bathtub shot makes more sense?) You have a five minute steadi-cam shot of the guys around the car, but in your reel it's reduced to a 2 second clip that looks almost static. Here's a shot in a club where you're on the move, lots of extras, lots going on, the camera flips. That's a great shot, but it's follows some nice, standard coverage mediums.

Don't have a clean way to wrap up the critique ... Except to say I critique you only with the greatest confidence that you've got a great eye and I've seen great stuff from you, and I expect to see more.

Best,

Jon.

• Premium Member

I hear ya. And I appreciate it. I think I'm going to kind of let this one ride (possibly with a few tweaks) and then do another revamp. Thaks again.

Don't have a clean way to wrap up the critique ... Except to say I critique you only with the greatest confidence that you've got a great eye and I've seen great stuff from you, and I expect to see more.