1.3 volt or 1.35 volt?

Marc Guerriero

1.3 volt or 1.35 volt?

I have noticed that some of the user manuals of older cameras, that required a separate light meter battery, indicate the voltage of the separate battery as 1.3V. Is there a difference or is this just a rounded off figure. One guy that makes his own battery adapters for the obsolete mercury batteries claims that they are essentially the same and that the camera reads them similarly. I am not sure if he just said that to sell his products or if there is really a difference. Any opinions?

I don't know for sure, but it seems that if its an old analog meter (I assume this is on a K3?) the voltage would be important. However that said there is a 3% difference over the range of the scale. Since analog meters are accurate to about +/- 1/2 stop, it seems as though .05v difference would be negligible, but then again, its worth a test. Set up the meter on a gray card and compare it to a hand held digital meter you know is good.

For whatever it's worth, here is a quick and dirty test I ran between 1.35v vs 1.4v batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2-W39iF1kw

Thanks, I can see a difference. I know that the silver oxide batteries sometimes come come as 1.55 or 1.6 even though they are rated as 1.5. Does the adapter bring it down to 1.35v regardless even if there is a variance of .05 to .1 volts?

Thanks, I can see a difference. I know that the silver oxide batteries sometimes come come as 1.55 or 1.6 even though they are rated as 1.5. Does the adapter bring it down to 1.35v regardless even if there is a variance of .05 to .1 volts?

I can spot the difference too, but I wouldn't necessarily say that the the wein cell exposed footage is better exposed. Maybe the white flower is a bit overexposed too. And positives tend to "like" a bit of underexposure (1/3 stop or so).