examples of movies shot on 35mm reversal

• Premium Member

I am still at work, slow though, with our Gigabitfilm, ISO 40, advertisement short in 35 mm. The stock undergoes reversal treatment but then we need to produce an internegative and positives on Gigabitfilm HDR, ISO 32, for enough contrast on the screen. The original is rather grey and white than black and white. The pictures blow me out the shoes, even the third generation shows no grain.

• Premium Member
i'm looking movies shot on 35mm reversal stock.

any examples would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

The river rapids stuff in "African Queen" was shot on Monopack, the ancestor of ECO. Then they made negative separations to intercut with the rest of the show, which was three strip Technicolor. That was the reason for 35 reversal in the first place, to get around the logistical constraints of three strip.

-- J.S.

Anyone have more specifics on their process? Stocks etc...

I was thinking they used a reversal stock that has since been discontinued, but I may be thinking of an another film.

Buffalo 66 was shot on KODAK 7239. It was cross processed. The DP was Lance Accord.

The director wanted a vintage 'NFL highlight films' look. What type of look do you want? Vivid colors or contrasty desaturated colors ? Wardrobe and Set Design also play a major part in creating the look you want.

The river rapids stuff in "African Queen" was shot on Monopack, the ancestor of ECO. Then they made negative separations to intercut with the rest of the show, which was three strip Technicolor. That was the reason for 35 reversal in the first place, to get around the logistical constraints of three strip.

Most of 'King Solomon's Mines'' the African locations was shot on Monopack, actually kodachrome.

If you can catch a35mm print, you might be surprised that the dupe negs from Monopack were sharper and less grainy than the 3-stpip original negs.

The 3-strip had richer color and tones/contrast.

It was shot on 35mm, & it was NOT cross processed.

The 07-98 AC had a brief article about it. That issue is currently on sale for $1.00

http://www.ascmag.com/store/product.php?pr...at=0&page=1

Probably more for shipping.

There is also a huge section on this in "New Cinematographers" by A. Ballinger, like Leo said it wasn't cross processed. Accord wanted to keep the 70's NFL film look to it!

Anyone have more specifics on their process? Stocks etc...

I was thinking they used a reversal stock that has since been discontinued, but I may be thinking of an another film.

I know they had big trouble finding a lab to process the film as the labs that process ektachrome movie film tend to do 16mm/s8 as thats what ppl tend to shoot it in. Not sure they didn't even have to codge something together in the end?

• Premium Member
I know they had big trouble finding a lab to process the film as the labs that process ektachrome movie film tend to do 16mm/s8 as thats what ppl tend to shoot it in. Not sure they didn't even have to codge something together in the end?

This is from that interview I linked on page one:

GALLO:

So I decided to shoot reversal. The people at Kodak said, "Well, first of all, it doesn't really exist, and we don't have it in 1000-foot rolls, and we don't have it doubleperfed, and you can't process it, and you can't print from it." But there was just no way I was going to take no for an answer. Kodak, the giant billionaire company in Rochester, you know-my film is not even a speckle in their evolution ~ on a weekend, cut 70,000 feet in 1,000-foot, double-perf rolls of 35mm film so that I could be ready to shoot on that Monday. Thank you Mr. Kodak.

FILMMAKER:

Did YOU have dailies on this movie?

GALLO:

No, I didn't see a foot of film until months after we wrapped.

FILMMAKER:

Not even on video?

GALLO:

Months after we wrapped. It took three weeks for them to even begin to build the machine that could process the film.