HPX500 with Pro35mm, What Zeiss lenses with look best?

I am preparing for a short comedy that will be shot on the Panasonic HPX500 with the Pro35mm adapter. I am currently interested in finding out what that main visual differences are going to be between Zeiss standard, super speeds, ultra primes, master primes and cooke s4s. In general and with this particular camera. Advantages/Disadvantages.

I am preparing for a short comedy that will be shot on the Panasonic HPX500 with the Pro35mm adapter. I am currently interested in finding out what that main visual differences are going to be between Zeiss standard, super speeds, ultra primes, master primes and cooke s4s. In general and with this particular camera. Advantages/Disadvantages.

Lawrence,

Without a doubt, the master primes are going to give you the best edge sharpness, and least chromatic abberration at the biggest apertures. I used to work at a rental house that collimated each of these types of lenses, and I can say that a master prime (at an identical focal length to an ultra prime), is much sharper at around the corners, even at f1.3. The cookes/ultras/masters are pretty heavy though compared to the zeiss standard/super speeds. (Master Primes being the heaviest, a lot of glass in those guys!). Cookes are a bit softer in their falloff but a lot of DPs like the look that they give; this may be something you want considering how sharp video is already. Master primes are also very expensive to rent, probably around $240/day per lens. The ultra primes following not far behind.

The ultimate question is, how will the look of each of these lenses suite the story? Only testing these can ensure the best creative decisions.

Elliot

• Premium Member

Personally, I think the amount of character that the Pro35mm adapter is going to add will most likely outweigh the differences between these lenses. If you have the opportunity to shoot some tests, that's the best way to sort this question out.

• 3 months later...

I own and rent out LETUS adapters.

I have the Letus Ultimate and Letus Elite... Both with all Lense mounts including PL mount, and the ROD SYSTEM needed for your camera.

These adapters only have a light loss of 1/2 stop. They are the best in the market.

Lenses for Rent:

I have two sets of:

Zeiss T1.3 Super Speed Lens SETS

MKII PL Mount

*18mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm*

Also for rent:

Zeiss 135mm Prime: MKII T2.1

JOEL DEUTSCH, SOC

Director of Photography / Cam Op

Local 600, IATSE

EvidenceProductions.com

Have you considered no pro35 and digiprimes?

+1

I was just thinking about how you were going to put awesome glass on a POS adapter...

Digiprimes are sweet. The HPX is big enough without the adapter, save yourself some weight.