Projectors for 16mm mag stripe dubing

Dennis Goble

I guess I'll have to reply to my self. :unsure:

From what I found an EIKI NST model will play back mag stripe 16mm film.

Not sure about dubing.

Ok I'm finding Bell and Howell 202 and 302 had magnetic sound. (vacuum tube models)

Edited by Dennis Goble

I guess I'll have to reply to my self. :unsure:

From what I found an EIKI NST model will play back mag stripe 16mm film.

Not sure about dubing.

Ok I'm finding Bell and Howell 202 and 302 had magnetic sound. (vacuum tube models)

Ultimately, Dennis, there are very few mag- stripe projectors. The film has been obsoleted since the '80s, the projectors are rare, even at festivals, and the workflow is decaying to the point where professional facilites are almost non-existent.

IDK if this exists, but if you want to project 16, I'd honstely look into some kind of interlock between analog tape, high-resolution digital audio, or some other sort of dual-system solution. IMAX used to supposedly have a 35mm mag. stock interlock as a backup for their DTS system. So the technology is out there.

But, ultimately, R16mm is a dead format. You need to do S16 (can this even be protected without a blowup?) or U 16 to exist in the 21st century.

I have a R16 camera, and love it to death, but I'd never use it for a film-project, unless I got it updated to U16 (won't convert to S16).

• Premium Member
Can we start a thread listing models and makes of projectors that can play 16mm mag stripe film?

Sorry I'm not going to come up with a list, but I do seem to recall that all the projectors that I came across that would play a mag stripe would also record to it. In the olden days, mag striped prints or camera original were frequently post-dubbed for business and home presentation, so the projectors would have a record function.

In most ads I have seen for projectors that have mag stripe capability, that fact is made known. Striped rawstock is no longer available, of course. I wonder if there are any labs left that apply a stripe to prints?

Good luck in your search,

Bruce Taylor

www.indi35.com

Thanks Karl I would like to know what camera you have that uses magstripe.

Since I don't know of many camera's that record optical I wonder why mag didn't make a hit?

Yes, as much as I don't like it a dual system is probably the only way to go.

Here is a link to Bell & Howell 16mm projectors

http://www.paulivester.com/films/projector/proj_primer.htm

Hi Dennis,

The Bauer P6 Studio and P7 Studio double-band projectors will record onto and play back both mag striped film as well as 16mm fullcoat. There might even have been a P8. They were also sold under the name Sonorex. I still have my P6 Studio but haven't used it in years.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

• Premium Member

Since I don't know of many camera's that record optical I wonder why mag didn't make a hit?

It made a _GREAT_ hit. while the older Auricon cameras did single system sound using an optical sound system, the later ones used the magnetic stripe under the "Filmagnetic" name as the mag stripe was a lot less fussy to get good results.

This was the way that TV news was recorded until it was generaly repleced by "Betacam" Kodak did phase out the mag stripe stock after that.

It is probaly hard to find an older TV news guy who did not file reports with an Aricon, or CP16 in that era.

Edited by Charles MacDonald

It was TV news ("Film at eleven...") -- so they would have had dedicated film chains at the TV stations.

And cut on a editing table that could play the mag stripe.

BTW They used a magnet to erase any unwanted sound overlap on a cut due to the 28 frame sound lead over the picture.

My CP-16 still has the maghead and amplifier in it but without magfilm stock it's redundant. I know Kodak made some Pageant models with mag stripe recording capabilities. Haven't seen one in a long time. Mostly seen the optical track models. This site has manuals for many projectors and their forum can help you with some information:

http://www.film-tech.com/

Yes, as much as I don't like it a dual system is probably the only way to go.

Here is a link to Bell & Howell 16mm projectors

http://www.paulivester.com/films/projector/proj_primer.htm

Sorry Dennis, you misread me. I have an Auricon, with a variable-area optical recording option.

I was thinking of getting it modified to U16 (if that is possible), and perhaps in some sort of fashion so that I could switch the U16 framing to R16 if I still wanted to do single-system for fun stuff (it's really not good enough for professional dramatic use).

On second thought I wouldn't touch any of that film from that link on ebay.

From what I have read no lab will process this.

If they did the emulsion would fall off and clog their processor and ruin everything. :o

Don't touch it. :(

Edited by Dennis Goble

On second thought I wouldn't touch any of that film from that link on ebay.

From what I have read no lab will process this.

If they did the emulsion would fall off and clog their processor and ruin everything. :o

Don't touch it. :(

I think you might be thinking of an older process but this is just VNF. There are still places in the states processing VNF film and some people home process in E6 too!

love

Freya

VNF was a pre-hardened stock. So it will run through E-6, physically, fine. The contrast will be higher and there will be a shift on the green-magenta axis. I forget which way. But all the labs running E-6 have to do is mix up the old VNF-1 first developer (Or was it the color developer? Forget now), and it'll run exactly the same way.

ME-4/E-4 and some of their predecessors were the ones you had to worry about. VNF-1 was designed for high speed, therefore high temperature modern color processing mostly to meet deadlines and increase labs' productivity and profitability. So VNF, assuming it isn't significantly age-fogged, will hold up just fine. . .