Canon 5D and Nikon D90

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member
Hi,

I'm shortly to have the opportunity to compare and contrast these cameras side by side as cinematography devices.

What do we want to know?

P

The biggest problem I had with the 5D was compression in dark areas, I needed to fill way more than I wanted to, of course there was no time to fix it in post!

Id like an idea of how genuinely manual the controls for the shutter and iris are (and nearly every other function) when in video mode. Id like to know what I can do with a 30fps clip in a 25fps environment and just how bad the jelly effect is in a real world situation. Could either of them be used to shoot a sit down interview ( I'm aware they don't record sound ).

My 5d records sound, and I am pretty sure the d90 does as well. The jello effect is not bad at all on the 5d, and on a tripod it is perfect for a sit down. The 30-to-25 fps issue I am working on...

Kristian

Id like an idea of how genuinely manual the controls for the shutter and iris are (and nearly every other function) when in video mode. Id like to know what I can do with a 30fps clip in a 25fps environment and just how bad the jelly effect is in a real world situation. Could either of them be used to shoot a sit down interview ( I'm aware they don't record sound ).

My 5d records sound, and I am pretty sure the d90 does as well. The jello effect is not bad at all on the 5d, and on a tripod it is perfect for a sit down. The 30-to-25 fps issue I am working on...

Kristian

I can plug an XLR Mic or mixer into the 5d? I didn't realize that, where is the input? How is the sound processed?

• 5 months later...
The biggest problem I had with the 5D was compression in dark areas, I needed to fill way more than I wanted to, of course there was no time to fix it in post!

Sai Stephen

I would be interested in seeing those artefacts (do you have some stills you could email or can the project be viewed on a server somewhere?) as a client of mine wants me to consider shooting in with the 5DMKII and I need to make a case against it.

I have recently shot a music video on the Canon and found that solution a joke, being a cinematographer used to large VariCam type cameras. Too many auto circuits that can't be turned off, and monitoring was a nightmare also. That little HDMI plug is a joke as the cable will always fall out, not to mention that it can only go to a CONSUMER monitor instead of a professional HD-SDI monitor.

What did you find besides the compressed blacks? Any other feed back would be much appreciated!

PS: chasch mer au uf Schwyzerdütsch per email antwortä falls das besser gaht

Hi Phil,

If I were upgrading a DVW-790 with 2 Canon zooms and a set of 4 Canon prime lenses F1.5, would these camera's be

a fair trade?

Kieran.

Quite apart the reasons given above, the BBC's consultant Alan Roberts has said that it's not up to broadcast standard, so no.

I'd wait as long as possible and see what's around when upgrading, plus which format your main clients are shooting on. No point in going for RAW when they're using a traditional video HD format.