5d what are the positive/negative?

Laetitia

I read a lot of positive opinion about the 5D II but I was wondering what was the down side in shooting video with it. I guess the compression rate must be an issue in post but I have't really heard anyone complaining about it. If I could get some clarification about what are the up and down side to shoot with the 5D II compare to a 1080p video camera. Cheers

• Premium Member
I read a lot of positive opinion about the 5D II but I was wondering what was the down side in shooting video with it. I guess the compression rate must be an issue in post but I have't really heard anyone complaining about it. If I could get some clarification about what are the up and down side to shoot with the 5D II compare to a 1080p video camera. Cheers

30p only, lag on live view, no dof control when using canon lenses. etc etc. i'm sure all has been discussed on this forum already.

• Premium Member
30p only, lag on live view, no dof control when using canon lenses. etc etc. i'm sure all has been discussed on this forum already.

Hi,

Sensor overheating when camera upside down & in live view for a long time (about 6 hours) picture then stutters.

I was able to be wide open with Canon lenses.

Stephen

post-3524-1237827249.jpg

Hi,

Sensor overheating when camera upside down & in live view for a long time (about 6 hours) picture then stutters.

I was able to be wide open with Canon lenses.

Stephen

Wow, Stephen! That rig in the picture is intense. Can you talk more in depth about that particular shoot please?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Well, the live view isn't that laggy. The 5D is certainly vastly better than the Nikon D90 (which is almost unusable due to a very sluggish rolling shutter).

Also not sure what you mean by no DOF control. Put it in aperture priority, latch the exposure, isn't that exactly what you get - or is it faking it all up with variable gain? Shutter speed certainly changes; you can see the rolling shutter artifacts alter.

P

• Premium Member

Every camera has some negative aspects be it quality or handling. I have worked with a P+S image converter for 3 years to have greater DOF and i was always p**sed due to mpeg2 compression and grain of the groundglass. On the 5Dmk2 i am now again let's say "not so happy" because it has no 24/25p plus no XLR inputs. BUT: image quality and high ASA mode in video is just incredibly good.

The price for the P+S and the XLH1 was 20K Euros three years ago, for the 5D2 divide this by ten. So I am happy, have to be, for me this is the best quality available right now. I hope for the next Canon "FF sensor camcorder" with all the stuff we're awaiting so desperately.

• Premium Member
Wow, Stephen! That rig in the picture is intense. Can you talk more in depth about that particular shoot please?

Thanks!

Hi Saul,

A very low budget music video, the cameras were rented for 50 CHF each ($45) for a weekend. The 2 directors had just shot a film & did not have enough shots to cut, so shooting every take from 5 angles had advantages for them, made lighting interesting!

Stephen

• Premium Member
A very low budget music video, .... shooting every take from 5 angles had advantages for them, made lighting interesting!

I'm wondering about the rig itself. Are those lever arms and linkages that control something on the lenses, perhaps zoom? Or are they just fixed struts to stabilize it all? How do you run/stop all the cameras at once?

-- J.S.

• 2 weeks later...