Is 16mm mag stripe stock available anywhere?

Zachary Vex

Film on eBay is from the early to mid '80s, judging from the packaging.

It's the faster, high speed (400) stuff, but even after all this time, if you were to find a lab that'd let you cross-process it in ECN-2, you could probably get totally usable images from it if you rated it rally slow like at 25 or 50.

Listing says there are more than 10 available (so, like over 100 minutes worth of sound and film @ 24fps), so you may want to gobble them all up at that price.

Good luck with it!

As a side note, even if this doesn't turn out to be what you want, you can still do single-system sound by just getting an older sound-on-film camera, like an Auricon, and recording it that way.

If you do go the optical-sound route, you want to go with variable area, not variable density. Optical sound quality is pretty crummy though.

On second thought I wouldn't touch any of that film from that link on ebay.

From what I have read no lab will process this.

If they did the emulsion would fall off and clog their processor and ruin everything. :o

Don't touch it. :(

Edited by Dennis Goble

On second thought I wouldn't touch any of that film from that link on ebay.

From what I have read no lab will process this.

If they did the emulsion would fall off and clog their processor and ruin everything. :o

Don't touch it. :(

It's VNF which is a similar process to E6. This stuff can be home processed in E6 with some slight changes in timing (maybe some bigger ones given how old it is!)

There are still some labs in the states happy to process VNF often in a modified E6 process.

Not sure about cross processing it tho.

love

Freya

It's VNF which is a similar process to E6.

Yeah, practically the only difference it the first developer. I know someone who did/does use E-6 kits with just a modified (want to say ~30% overconcentrated developer) with great results (professional, not avante guard or anything).

And there are still E-6 labs that do VNF runs, but they are on a much more limited basis.

What you need to worry about is the film's age, not the process. . .

It's VNF which is a similar process to E6.

Yeah, practically the only difference it the first developer. I know someone who did/does use E-6 kits with just a modified (want to say ~30% overconcentrated developer) with great results (professional, not avante guard or anything).

And there are still E-6 labs that do VNF runs, but they are on a much more limited basis.

What you need to worry about is the film's age, not the process. . .

It's the faster, high speed (400) stuff, but even after all this time, if you were to find a lab that'd let you cross-process it in ECN-2, you could probably get totally usable images from it if you rated it rally slow like at 25 or 50.

This of course won't work if you process it as reversal tho where you will need to shoot it at 400.

Could be intresting cross processed tho! You would end up with a negative with a mag soundtrack tho which doesn't seem that projectable depending on your idea!

I also have quite a bit of the slower E160 that is mag striped here so it is out there. I always fancied trying to make something with it but it seemed too hard to find a way to record or project the sound.

love

Freya

About a million feet, strangely enough.

sorry, only got about 60,000' ...

so, yes - um, phewph thats a lot you're after ! something arty farty in mind ?

Hoping to find a forgotten stockpile somewhere ?

Tell us about the project so we can get our heads round it - cheers pop ;)

Unless you're shooting a lot of slo-mo, that's 460 hours worth of footage at 24fps.

Thanks for wasting our time. Doesn't look like you are treating us with the same degree of seriousness with which we have treated you :rolleyes: