Connecting the XL1 to an LCD TV

clyde villegas

I'd like to use my XL1 to make image magnification to an LCD TV. I'll be using the video-out composite connector of the XL1 (because there's no other option but the S-Video which will project an inferior image quality).

Since I'll be moving around a very large room, I'm wondering: what is the maximum length of the composite cable without affecting image quality? A salesman in the local audio-video shop told me we can make long composite cable using a long microphone cable and RCA connectors. He also told me I can go 100 meters without sacrificing image quality... which I doubt. I appreciate your answers. Thanks and God bless.

This is a typical one of many answers from a Google search:

"There is no published maximum lengths for composite or other analog video cables because there are so many factors to take into account.

If the driving source is a properly balanced output and the receiver has a properly terminated input and good quality, low loss co-ax cable is used, then the maximum distance can comfortably exceed 100 metres (300ft). However, many domestic video components do not have the best drivers and receivers and therefore, the maximum length will be reduced significantly. With analog signals (composite, S-video, component, RGB) the picture will start to become softer as the cable length increases. Eventually, the image will become unacceptable but it is up to the user to decide what is good enough.

In all cases where a long video run is needed, use good quality 75 ohm co-ax cable and within a domestic environment, you should see very few problems."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_Maxi...te_video_cables

Others are more skeptical about 100 M without degradation of signal, but they all seem to agree on the 75 Ohm coax having no discernible limitations.

I can't imagine you are truly in a situation where you need to be tethered to a monitor for 100 M or more, but you did not state your actual needs, other than to say, "..a very large room." I would think a composite would do the trick for you.

Thanks Jack and Phil. The room is about 70 x 30 meters and I'd like to be able to walk freely without any limitation caused by a short video cable. Can I use a microphone XLR cable instead of a coax cable for the video? Then I'll attach RCA connectors on both ends. Is the quality the same? Thanks and God bless.

• Premium Member
Can I use a microphone XLR cable instead of a coax cable for the video?

Not ideally, no - microphone cables aren't impedance matched, although neither are RCA connectors and you'll have to go through at least one of those to get out of the camera.

Really you should use a 75-ohm impedance matched cable with BNC connectors, and whatever the minimum number of adaptors is to get to the equipment you need to connect.

P

The room is about 70 x 30 meters and I'd like to be able to walk freely without any limitation caused by a short video cable.

Do you have any idea how much 100 M of cable weighs? Or how much drag it will create as you walk around that room? I don't think that will allow you to "walk freely without any limitation." You haven't even mentioned what else is in the room - people, furniture, etc. - that you would have to drag cable around.

Have you considered using a wireless monitor? I can't give you any specifics, but I know they are out there.