Anamorphic for Canon 5D Mark II ??

Guest Kal Karman

Guest Kal Karman

Hi there,

Anyone have an idea how to shoot Anamorphic with a Canon 5D Mark II?

What adapters, lenses etc..

Thanks,

Kal

Edited by Kal Karman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I have the iscorama lens and have used it on the 5d mkII.

It's a bit complicated to use as a general purpose lens, specially to focus it.

the cle focusing range is very spaced out, but the midrange goes very quick (almost like a still macro lens).

it only goes down to something like 6ft, so any kind of CU needs a diopter.

also (at least mine) is VERY low contrast.

I love it, but it's not a great lens if you're crazy about sharpness and "quality", but it definitively has a personality.

the lens is not part of a set. This one is it

This is a still shoot with the iscorama on a set, but it will give you a good idea what it can do.

-yes, it has a +1 diopter in it and the contrast is crancked way up-

Nico

post-4679-1239757609.jpg

• 1 month later...

My personal experience with anamorphics is a bit limited, but my guess is that it looks more like a cooke converted anamorphic or older lomos that a panavision C or E.

the flares are warm / yellowish, not cold. They flare more as an elegant straight horizontal line that fades to the sides rather than solid. If you're trying to redo the flares in the new Star Trek, this is NOT the lens to do it. This a low contrast lens.

The lens doesn't have a FL inscription, but on the canon 5D the height has the FOV of a 50mm.

this lens is a 1.5x compression, not a 2x.

don't have files at hand, when I do, I'll post some flare examples.

hope it helps.

No problem.

yeah, that pic in flick does just about the same look I was trying to describe.

BTW, I know isco also made anamorphic attachment in different screw sizes, but this particular lens was designed as a unit.

An interesting side effect is that it has to levers that allow you to control the direction of the anamorphic element.

I read that originally it was designed to take apart the front element and use it in the enlarger to de-squeeze the image.

I've talked a director into using it on a TV commercial in 2 weeks. I'll post it when finished.

The Iscorama like other anamorhic attachments is afocal.

It screws into the prime lenses. the widest 24x36mm format lens it can be used with is 45mm or 50mm.

How?

More questions...

Is it possible to attach any prime lens above a 45mm or 50mm?

Once the 5D MII records a squeezed 1920x1080 1.5x image, when you de-squeeze in post, what's exactly the resolution you will (better) get? Upsampling horizontally above 1920?

How?

More questions...

Is it possible to attach any prime lens above a 45mm or 50mm?

They simply screw into the filter threads of the camera lens. Thread adapter rings may be needed

to fit one on to your lenses.

The camera lens' focus is set at infinity and all the focusing is done on the Iscorama.

Here are specs on some of the Iscorama lenses:

ISCORAMA-54

Magnification (horizontal).......1.5x

Distance Scale..........2m to infinity

Rear Barrel Diameter...........78mm

Rear Lens Element Diameter...54mm

Length..............................102.5mm (maximum)

Net Weight........................1000 grams

Filter Thread......................95mm

Rear Barrel Threading.........77mm

Light-loss Absorbtion...........1/3 Stop or less

ISCORAMA-42

Distance Scale...............2m to infinity

Front outside diameter..........87mm

Rear Barrel Diameter.............43mm(?)

Rear Lens Element Diameter...42mm

Length..............................83mm (maximum)

Net Weight........................750 grams

Filter Thread......................82mm

Rear Barrel Threading.........62mm

ISCORAMA-36

Distance Scale...............2m to infinity

Front outside diameter..........76.2mm

Rear Barrel Diameter.............52mm(?)

Rear Lens Element Diameter...36mm

Length..............................73.9mm (maximum)

Net Weight........................400 grams

Filter Thread......................72mm

Rear Barrel Threading.........49mm

ISCORAMA WIDESCREEN 2000

Distance Scale...............none (fixed focus range 6m-inf)

Front outside diameter..........59mm

Rear Barrel Diameter.............49mm

Rear Lens Element Diameter...36mm

Length..............................50mm (maximum)

Net Weight........................225 grams

Filter Thread......................none

Rear Barrel Threading.........49mm(?)

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavender/569/anamorphic.html

Nico's lens is apparently the Iscorama 2001, which is a single unit.

2a58_35.JPG

The earliest Iscoramas which came with a Nikon, M42 or Exacta mount were detachable in order to use the anamorphic on a slide projector.

iscorama2.jpg

One of the most unusual (and rare) lenses ever produced for the Exakta was the Isco Göttingen 50mm f2.8 Iscorama. During photo taking, the lens permits vertical or horizontal picture shrinkage. It's a two part lens, a modified automatic 50mm f2.8 and a special anamorphoser.

This is a very interesting lens and fun to play with. You can make short objects tall, fat objects thin, etc., just by depressing the two buttons and rotating the front elements.

---Capt.Jack's Exacta Page

http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/Isco%20page.htm

Yes they can be used on longer lenses. The front diameter of the camera lens shouldn't be larger than the back element diameter of the iscorama lens.

I'm no expert on the matter, but I can assure you there's a difference between the iscorama adaptors and the iscorama lens made for nikon mount.

the adaptors are meant to be used with regular lenses as long as the filter's diameter and coverage allow it. The iscorama pret-a-porter is a unit consisting of 2 parts. the mount side has a few elements and f-stop ring only (no focusing ring), while the anamorphic (front) part has an element that protrudes so far back as to be impossible to use on any other regular lens.

When I researched purchasing the lens, The same single unit out of polish EBay came up as the only alternative, but 3 years later it's still there. I smell a scam or something of the sort. Does anybody ever seen something similar to it?

Hope the crappy snap I did of the 2 sections of the lens will explain what I'm saying.

BTW, I just shoot a TV commercial with it, it looks fantastic. So much for expensive gear....It feels a bit subversive to use equipment clients would consider unfit to use compared to the usual fare. A childish pleasure, but a pleasure none the less.

post-4679-1245115676.jpg

I'm no expert on the matter, but I can assure you there's a difference between the iscorama adaptors and the iscorama lens made for nikon mount.

the adaptors are meant to be used with regular lenses as long as the filter's diameter and coverage allow it. The iscorama pret-a-porter is a unit consisting of 2 parts. the mount side has a few elements and f-stop ring only (no focusing ring), while the anamorphic (front) part has an element that protrudes so far back as to be impossible to use on any other regular lens.

So, are you implying that the model you have simply doesn't screw into the filter threads of the camera lens?

When I researched purchasing the lens, The same single unit out of polish EBay came up as the only alternative, but 3 years later it's still there. I smell a scam or something of the sort. Does anybody ever seen something similar to it?

Same case?

Why such difference? What does this difference mean?

I actually have the Isco Gottingen 50mm f/2.8 Anamorphic lens and have been using it for about 3 years now.

_MG_6785.jpg

Here it is on a 1Ds Mark III

Originally I was interested in shooting stills in a new format, more of a one shot panorama format. Here are a few from the Isco.

_MG_6700.jpg

Isco f/8

_MG_6728.jpg

Isco f/2.8

PHFX9901.jpg

- bigger

Isco f/2.8 (note alignment of the anamorphic element is slightly off, you can indeed rotate it)

PHFX9956.jpg

- bigger

Isco f/11

As my fascination with using anamorphic glass got the best of me I ended up spending some cash on getting more and more anamorphic elements. Which led me to having Panavision machining together a 100mm 2x anamorphic lens based on a Canon 100mm f/2. I also recently fitted an old Kowa 1.75x on the front side of a Canon 100mm f/2 as well.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Phil Holland

Sure I can help with that.

So the Isco lens that I pictured does in fact screw onto the 50mm underlaying lens, but it's not as you imagine. The anamorphic elements protrudes past the threads and goes deep within the accompanying 50mm lens. You would need to use some sort of threaded spacer and likely a step up ring to use the anamorphic element with anything other than the 50mm prime under it. I would say that you won't be shooting with anything wider than that particular 50mm on it. I get heavy vignetting even with a 100mm lens wedged behind it.

The Isco anamorphic seems to be most suited to just be used with it's 50mm base lens. They were designed for each other.

This was a point of frustration for me as well, but I eventually went crazy and bought a ton of anamorphic glass to experiment with and rip apart.

Here's an example off a custom machined 100mm 2x anamorphic.

hollywoodandhighland.jpg

- bigger

linzUnderooz_055.jpg

I've also recently been messing around with some Kowa glass with is a 1.75x.

_MG_6761.jpg

That above image was shot at f/2.8.

Here's what it looks like in camera.

_MG_6761og.jpg

I would say that you won't be shooting with anything wider than that particular 50mm on it. I get heavy vignetting even with a 100mm lens wedged behind it.

100mm? I thought it would be wider than 50mm?? How can you have heavy vignetting with a 100mm lens? Did you try other focal lengths between 50mm and 100mm? Or longer than 100mm?

I assume we are talking about using anamorphics for 1080p HD video mode shooting here?

Phil, what type of anamorphic lens could be used to cover the entire FF35mm 16x9 sensor area of the 5D2 in video mode, and then result in a 2.40 scope aspect ratio when unsqueezed? I suppose there would be a slight resolution gain on that. I wonder if shooting anamorphic might also help to eliminate some of the moire pattern bullsh#t the 5D2 produces in video mode?

Maybe i wasn't clear enough on the earlier post.

the reason I showed the Iscorama in 2 pieces is to show the protrusion that is behind the anamorphic element.

Mr. holland explained in a very didactical way the using of the lens.

I second his experience completely.

Unless one is ready to do some heavy work with adaptors, thread reducers, spacers and the like, the best way to enjoy the iscorama LENS (not the iscorama anamorphic ADAPTORS) is to just use the whole units altogether. The back element in the anamorphic front is too small and too far apart from the filter thead.

If you want to use different lenses, I suggest you look for the iscorama ADAPTOR (or other brands that you may fancy) as the ones explained in detail on an earlier post.

The lens can be used as a stills or for HD in the 5D2.

pulling focus is a bit tricky, if you're experienced it can be done, but an AC is nice for mode demanding situations. Also the minimum focus is something like 6 feet, so diopters are in order for CU work.

When it gets clearance from the client, I'll post a commercial I just did with it.