Why there is no feature film shot with HV20/30?

Gray Bersen

Hi.

I searched on the internet and imdb but found no feature film shot with HV20/30?

Is there anyone knowing the such a feature film?

If not, again is there any specific reason why people doesn't chose HV20/30 for their feature film projects?

Thanks in advance for sharing information.

Giray Bersen

• Premium Member

I would assume the real reason is that once you make the investment in a feature film (time and money) you go up to the best capture format you can afford... generally higher end cameras with more control (be they film/video) in order to maximize your ability to work in myriad locations etc. just my rough idea.

• Premium Member

"Crank 2" was shot with prosumer HDV cameras. Check out this month's American Cinematographer. They had some interesting way of capturing shots.

though I think the footage looks pretty crappy (just my opinion).... which is the main reason people don't shoot features with them, they do poorly in low light, clip in highlights (like all digital) and have a lot of nasty noise when blown up for projection. you have to deal with the compression in the format.

also, make sure you put your First and Last name in your avatar...it's the rules.

"Crank 2" was shot with prosumer HDV cameras. Check out this month's American Cinematographer. They had some interesting way of capturing shots.

though I think the footage looks pretty crappy (just my opinion).... which is the main reason people don't shoot features with them, they do poorly in low light, clip in highlights (like all digital) and have a lot of nasty noise when blown up for projection. you have to deal with the compression in the format.

also, make sure you put your First and Last name in your avatar...it's the rules.

Thanks John.

When I say HV20/30 I meant, HV20/30 with 35mm adapters (like brevis, redrock, letus etc.) and some prime lenses of course...

I think, the footage should be very fine with that kind of configuration.

for just a couple thousands more a production can buy/rent a better prosumer camera like the sony ex1 or ex3 or even an hvx200, which even though its not full hd it looks a lot better, partially because its 4:2:2 chroma sampling and dvcpro 50 recording as opposed to the 4:2:0 recording on hdv of the canon consumer cameras (for the hv20 or 30 cannot evenbe consider prosumer).

and, after all, if a production can't afford to shoot on a prosumer camera then most likely they can't afford to feed their crew either :)

for just a couple thousands more a production can buy/rent a better prosumer camera like the sony ex1 or ex3 or even an hvx200, which even though its not full hd it looks a lot better, partially because its 4:2:2 chroma sampling and dvcpro 50 recording as opposed to the 4:2:0 recording on hdv of the canon consumer cameras (for the hv20 or 30 cannot evenbe consider prosumer).

and, after all, if a production can't afford to shoot on a prosumer camera then most likely they can't afford to feed their crew either :)

Thanks Demian.

I think I see what you mean.

Instead of saving 3K with HV20/30, investing on a better camera like HVX200 is a better option.

I think that concludes the post.