Canon D5 Mark II

Pedro Millan

Trailer for the first feature shot on a dSLR

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/03/30/searc...shot-on-a-dslr/

Rumor that Canon is creating their own RED type pro camera.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/03/new-video-camera-system/

Film still rules, but can't wait until there's an affordable digital camera with a PL mount for using my Lomo Anamorphics :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

I spent the last two days shooting with one.

The pictures are quite nice. Focus is murder; you don't actively want a sensor this big, even if you think you do. It gets noisy, unpleasant vertical bands of noise, if you leave it on too long, which is mentioned in the manual. It's very low noise to begin with; then becomes very high noise over the next hour or so. The compression is awful; it's possible to do much better than it does in 40mbps h.264. Of course the best thing about it compared to something like Red is that it fires up almost instantly and then actually works reliably and for a long time on its tiny internal battery.

Depending where you are, you could go and see South London Filter who have manual Canon lens sets originally intended for use with their spinny-ground-glass adaptors, which would knock on the head a lot of the more obvious issues.

The lacking features in this thing are so obvious that I could well believe they're doing it for political reasons, but I've heard a couple of conflicting rumours about their intentions. Obviously it has the potential to be unutterably fantastic, and they clearly have the technological ability to produce a world-beating D-cinema camera at more or less any time they choose. It's just a matter of when and if they choose to do it, and I wouldn't be bowled over to find they've got something fun at NAB.

P