Up resing Mini DV to HD

Jase Ryan

Can someone tell me about upresing footage from mini DV to HD? Is it a simple process? How exactly is it recreating the image at 720 or 1080P from something thats only 720x480? Is the quality fine? And where can you get this done? Pricey? I'm in Toronto Canada.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

You can just do it in Final Cut Pro.

Use Quicktime Conversion, an H264 codec, and set your bitrate to like 6000-8000. You can set your 'Size' to x by 720, and there, technically, you should have HD.

• Site Sponsor

If you really want it to look good and it is for an important project I would suggest getting it done through a Teranex or other similar system. Just uprezzing in FCP will not yield the best results i.e. jaggies will become apparent.

-Rob-

We are using Magic Bullet Instant HD 1.1 on a current project that is shooting on DVC ProHD in 720 24pN and 720 24pN AVC Intra 100. We were supplied some footage that was shot 4x3 DVCAM and have to integrate it into this project. This plug-in handles it surprisingly well, it looks decent, if not impressive, I mean it is NTSC in an HD timeline. http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/a...let-instant-hd/

Worth checking out.

Dan

Edited by dan brockett

• Premium Member
And where can you get this done? Pricey? I'm in Toronto Canada..

I'd call Technicolor in Toronto. Yes, it'll be pricey, but Rob's right, the Teranex is the best solution at this time. Bear in mind that you can't create information or resolution that isn't there. The limiting factor is that you're starting with only 720 x 480.

-- J.S.