ordering film

Jase Ryan

I'm shooting a short on 35mm soon and am not sure exactly how this works, but I want to shoot 3 perf. So does that come down to the camera? Or to ordering the film?

We haven't ordered anything yet and are not sure what camera we're getting but are in talks with Panavision. Can someone please help clarify?

Do I decide to shoot 3 perf only through camera choice? And if so how does that work? Or do I tell kodak this and they give a film for 3 perf?

Sorry for the novice question.

Thanks.

Jase

I'm shooting a short on 35mm soon and am not sure exactly how this works, but I want to shoot 3 perf. So does that come down to the camera? Or to ordering the film?

We haven't ordered anything yet and are not sure what camera we're getting but are in talks with Panavision. Can someone please help clarify?

Do I decide to shoot 3 perf only through camera choice? And if so how does that work? Or do I tell kodak this and they give a film for 3 perf?

Sorry for the novice question.

Thanks.

Jase

Your decision to shoot 3 perf will effect how you choose the camera (the camera must have a 3-perf movement - check with your rental house), and how you finish the film. Typically a DI is done for 3 perf since you can't make true prints from 3 perf film. Check with your preferred post house to see if their telecine/film scanner can do this. The filmstock you order will work in a 3 perf camera no matter what. (Just make sure it's 35mm stock haha)

• Premium Member

You can't go totally wrong with the film since there is no 3⅔ holes perforation or so. Ah, yes, and the holes are evenly pitched all along the strip, believe it or not, at the accuracy of ¹/10,000 mm (fresh).

• Premium Member

4 perf is the projection standard. If you're going to do a DI, you can save 25% on stock and processing by shooting 3 perf, as you get the same run time using only 3/4 as much film. If you don't have the money for the DI, your best route is to shoot either Academy centered 4 perf flat 1.85, or 4 perf anamorphic. Those are the two formats that can be contact printed all the way to release.

-- J.S.