Word on the S/B?

Will von Tagen

Hi, I am thinking about buying my first 16mm. I have been shooting 8 for over a year and am ready to step it up. I am looking at an Arri s/b in particular. It has bery recently been services and a new motor added. I was just wondering what those of you who have shot with this camera think, primarily, how good is it for shooting with sound. I saw on the Arri site that gets pointed too on this forum, that a Barney bag is available. How much is that, and is it pretty effective? Basically, I just want to hear all opinions and experiences with the camer. Good, Bad, mediocre. Thank you very much!

• Premium Member
Hi, I am thinking about buying my first 16mm. I have been shooting 8 for over a year and am ready to step it up. I am looking at an Arri s/b in particular. It has bery recently been services and a new motor added. I was just wondering what those of you who have shot with this camera think, primarily, how good is it for shooting with sound. I saw on the Arri site that gets pointed too on this forum, that a Barney bag is available. How much is that, and is it pretty effective? Basically, I just want to hear all opinions and experiences with the camer. Good, Bad, mediocre. Thank you very much!

Most of the information you seek can be found on my web site.

Arri16S.com

It is an MOS camera, so it would not be my first choice if you had a silent sync camera available for you to shoot with. That being said, if it is your only camera available, you can shoot sync with it, you just need to follow some of the instructions listed on my web site. The best case scenario would be to get a blimp like the one shown on the site. Visual Products has one, and are selling it for about $1650. Can't vouch for it and whether it is as complete as the one I had. You can also get a barney for the Arriflex 16S/B from Custom Upholstery Products. There is a link on the web site. With the barney, which cuts some of the noise, you can sometimes use a noise reduction program like Sound Soap to get rid of some of the camera noise. Again, it is all explained on the site.

Aside from that, the Arriflex 16S/B is a great camera. Very easy to hand hold, built like a tank, with pin registration for a rock solid picture (if it has been serviced properly), and they are fairly inexpensive to purchase.

Hope that helps.

Best,

-Tim

I own a well maintained SB. It's extremely sturdy, shoots rock solid images, and runs smooth. It's pretty quiet when running daylight spools internally (still MOS though). The torque motor makes it a lot louder. My only real complaint is that the eyepiece is fixed, so that can be a bit awkward at times.

• Premium Member
The website for custom upholstery doesn't seem to show the barney, nor does it give a price. Do you know about how much they go for?

Send them an email. They make lots of barneys that are not listed on their site. I know they make a barney for the Arriflex 16S/B because I helped them develop it.

I think the price is somewhere around $300.

Best,

-Tim

• 1 month later...