Rosco View (anyone used it)

Just doing some research on the item. Has pluses and minus (namely the cost) however will not be able to look at it personally for a few days. Has anyone used it before? Did you find any weird alterations to the image as a result of using this product? Any catches only on set experiences could show?

• 1 month later...

We did use the Rosco View on a talking show called ''On prend toujours un train''. You can watch some of the interview at http://www.radio-canada.ca/emissions/on_pr..._un_train/2009/

We shot the series last autumn and the sky was pretty well covered. If you watch the second interview, it was a bright sunny day, then you'll have a pretty good idea of the effect.

We use the roscoview on all of the windows. All shows were shot with three Sony F900 on a train, while it was moving.

The fun thing about the Roscoview is that it let the light coming in without stopping it like a normal ND would. We used four ringlite mini to light the set.

At one point, we did a day for night shoot. The light that was coming in from the sun was pure blue, and the interior was at 3200K. As we were tweaking the polarizer on our camera, the sky turn out dark blue but the sun didn't lost his power through the gel. Very interesting.

Of course we sandwiched the roscoview between two Lexan ( rigid plastic ) so we don't have any ripple on side shots. Never use it with any liquid, it will cost you a fortune to find out that it will ruin your gel.

Oh, for the price, well I work for the Government station :-)

I guess it's pretty expensive but worth every penny in our situation.

Ive never seen this before. Is it a polarized gel? I have a shoot next week were I'm shooting in a empty office tower for two days and this would be a great tool for parts of it. May I ask (Don't want to Hi-jack the thread) but if the windows on the building are polarized already, on the outside, does anyone think I could achieve a similar effect with the Polarizer in my lens kit? Ive been battling with how to keep my exposures consistent through a days shooting when there's so much variance. Interesting idea, the video on the website shows a very startling effect...

Ive never seen this before. Is it a polarized gel?

-Yes it is

if the windows on the building are polarized already, on the outside, does anyone think I could achieve a similar effect with the Polarizer in my lens kit?

-You'll still have to install the RoscoView on those windows, but yes, the linear polariser will do the job. On our production, we bought three RoscoView polariser for the cameras. We tried with normal polariser and it was working too.

If you want to check the roscoview effect, take two regular linear polariser and turn one, you'll see complete darkness at one point.