The BEST affordable production car? :)

Hi!

This autumn we're starting up a tiny production company in Norway (3 employees)... If we were to buy a production car, what would be the BEST when it comes to possibilities?

I know it's a difficult question. Though still...

I recently drove around filming in a Hyundai Santa Fe, and it was amazing. When you lay down the back seats, you get a completely flat surface, and so I mounted the tripod and filmed out the windows. However I guess a pick-up of some sorts would be even better, where you can take off the roof and be completely free.

If there are any vehicles which could give a competitive advantage, that would also be cool (for instance I thought about a lift of some sort?).

Also, if the car can double as a band vehicle with room for at least five and still loads of room, that would be great :) (I've been looking at some Chevy Vans too - incredible comfort for longer trips).

Also if you have any good ideas for other possibilities with the right vehicle, that would be welcome :)

Okay the post got kinda longer than what I wanted, though hopefully you get something out of it :)

Thanks in advance!!

Hi!

This autumn we're starting up a tiny production company in Norway (3 employees)... If we were to buy a production car, what would be the BEST when it comes to possibilities?

I recently drove around filming in a Hyundai Santa Fe, and it was amazing. When you lay down the back seats, you get a completely flat surface, and so I mounted the tripod and filmed out the windows. However I guess a pick-up of some sorts would be even better, where you can take off the roof and be completely free.

If there are any vehicles which could give a competitive advantage, that would also be cool (for instance I thought about a lift of some sort?).

Also, if the car can double as a band vehicle with room for at least five and still loads of room, that would be great :) (I've been looking at some Chevy Vans too - incredible comfort for longer trips).

Also if you have any good ideas for other possibilities with the right vehicle, that would be welcome :)

Okay the post got kinda longer than what I wanted, though hopefully you get something out of it :)

Thanks in advance!!

a Toyota Tacoma with a rack in the back would be awesome for a grip ( i assume you are one because of the section you posted this in). The rack would make great mounting points and would let you store track and ladders up there.

Also, tacomas can be found used for a good price, and they will last forever with routine maintenance. Get a gear box for storing your tools, and you'd be in business. If you get a 4x4 v4 it will be much cheaper than a v6, and people won't ask you to haul the HUGE lights with a v4 :)

a Toyota Tacoma with a rack in the back would be awesome for a grip ( i assume you are one because of the section you posted this in). The rack would make great mounting points and would let you store track and ladders up there.

Also, tacomas can be found used for a good price, and they will last forever with routine maintenance. Get a gear box for storing your tools, and you'd be in business. If you get a 4x4 v4 it will be much cheaper than a v6, and people won't ask you to haul the HUGE lights with a v4 :)

What i usually used is the back of a pick up truck, they work really good. It all depends what the project calls for.

Not that you'd want this but I've found my 1998 328i sedan to be able to hold a ton of grip gear - though it has to put in properly.

I can fit - 12x12 frame, 2 hi hi rollers, 2 combo stands, 2 c stands, lighting box with 5 fresnels, old mole 2k(big), stinger milk crate, tools milk crate, 36x48 flags, 12x24 flags, plenty of fabric(silks, sound blankets, solids, Grifflon)

I guess the point is that I'm sort of showing off, and that almost any car can work.

I'd agree about the toyota tacoma - great truck. A van would be best.

Hi!

Thanks in advance!!

It sounds like you're asking for the impossible... one vehicle that can do everything? :unsure: You want an equipment transport vehicle that also doubles as a crew transport and shooting platform?

I don't know what vehicles are available in Norway so that would impact any suggestions, of course. Off hand, I'd suggest some kind of pickup with an open back so you could shoot off the back end.... but that limits your ability to carry gear and people. Of course this all depends on how much equipment and how many people you want to carry too.

It's difficult question to answer without knowing all the specifics. You're likely better off spending money on TWO vehicles... one for crew and gear and one as the shooting platform that can be specifically rigged for that purpose. I don't know that there is one vehicle that is suitable for everything.

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
Ford Transit or bust...

I was under the impression that the Ford Transit was the workhorse of Europe. I've got a '93 Chevy 3/4 ton 2500 truck. It's a long bed, extended cab with a home made (tallish) box over the big bed. It also has some serious overload leaf springs installed on it. I can haul 5 guys and more crap than I ever even use in the back. I cannot kill it. It will not die. They will bury me in it.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure your insurance is appropriate. It's a common error on low budget shoots calling in favors or using private vehicles to not extend insurance for commercial use.

EDIT Actually I may be in error here for assuming you're not doing it by the book. My apologies if that's the case.

Edited by Karel Bata