Matte box for ag-dvx100

jeff striker

• 4 weeks later...

This is probably the most obvious, but, b and H photo carries the Century matte box for this camera. It's looks nice, but is pricey. ($1,400-ish) I'm playing with a friend's right now. It has 2 filter stages (4X4) that rotate, and a circular snap-in at the back. I haven't used it in the field yet.

• 8 months later...
Guest Peter Wilkens

Does anyone know of matte box manufacturer that does not use pure gold as part of its part assemblies?

I'm figuring they must be all made out of gold or maybe platinum, because they are able to ask (and presumably get) $1000+ for what is essentially a screw on adapter and a bunch of pieces of metal on hinges. :P

Or am I completely overlooking some fundamental piece of incredibly difficult to recreate technology that is included with these?

Maybe I'm just ignorant at why it's so expensive. Is there a lens included? Special digital matte opaquing LCD's? Please enlighten me.

They certainly give an aire of professionalism to the camera setup, but for simple ambient light protection, does it need to be so expensive? Or am I completely ignorant to the point and use of a matte box? Please explain. I'm new to the equipment.

Thanks!