I'm looking to buy a new, excellwent camcorder I can't decide whether to spend the extra thousand dollars or so to buy a camera with 24p, or just go with a solid 60i camera. How much difference does 24p make? Does it really make a difference in the picture, or more in the transfer to film? If you were to get a camera that was good but couldn't do 24p, like the canon xl1s for example, which would you get?

Thanks.

I went from a jvc dv500 to the panasonic dvx100 after a singlr shoot. The jvc had a larger chip and a better lens but i was and am smitten with the 24p. And given your posting this question on this board Ill asume you want the camera for cinematic goals...24p the way to go, definitely. That being said the xl1s is going cheap these days and I really like it but by the time you outfit it for xlr sound your looking at close to the dvx price...Run a search on eBay for the DVX100a, its going for as little as $2500 new,,,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3858128534&rd=1

Just a heads-up, you might want to check www.dvxuser.com for info about DVX-100 sales. There have been some scams on ebay and also some "gray market" cameras selling for very cheap that don't have warranties. I too am on a wild goose chase to find one for the best deal possible; I plan to squirrel away some dough and spring for it in about a year or so. It's hard to wait, they are great cameras!