First attempt on 16mm

Jon Smith

An experimental documentary about girls in love for the first time.

Shot for a 2nd year project on the BA Film Production course at The Arts Institute at Bournemouth.

This is the first film I have shot on 16mm film. It was shot on an ArriSR2 on Kodak 50D and the interviews were shot with a JVC HD Camera.

Would very much appreciate any feedback, cheers

http://vimeo.com/4107492

An experimental documentary about girls in love for the first time.

Shot for a 2nd year project on the BA Film Production course at The Arts Institute at Bournemouth.

This is the first film I have shot on 16mm film. It was shot on an ArriSR2 on Kodak 50D and the interviews were shot with a JVC HD Camera.

Would very much appreciate any feedback, cheers

http://vimeo.com/4107492

very good job... beautifully made honestly. i very much liked the "experimental" feel of the film, although i personally would've used the interviews as voice overs instead. But then again, as you said its a documentary, not a poetic experimental film.. so again, really good job. i love the colors, all the camera work, and framing. I personally prefer film to video, so yeah i liked the parts done with film.

cheers.

• Premium Member

Like I said, you switch to and fro between exterior and interior shots which I don't seem to understand why. Perhaps it would have been rounder to have everything composed indoors. Don't take it personally, I'm giving my opinion, that's all. It is your movie and I like it still.

Like I said, you switch to and fro between exterior and interior shots which I don't seem to understand why. Perhaps it would have been rounder to have everything composed indoors. Don't take it personally, I'm giving my opinion, that's all. It is your movie and I like it still.

dont worry I'm not taking it personally, just didn't quite understand what you meant. Yeah I think its too much of a contrast. Maybe it would have been better with the interviews outside.

Wow great film footage - keep pushing that.

The first film shot, the close up of the girl's face - when she opens her eyes they are barely exposed, I want to see her eyes and I question why I can't.

Yeah i totally agree. It was one of those shoots that went wrong and over schedule and we were shooting in an overcast forest with 50D as the sun was disappearing :S i didnt think id get anything, but I'm surprised at the latitude of film. But yeah I guess the eyes are the first place you look. Should of tried to bounce some light in there or something.