Rig to shoot in the back seat of a car

F Bulgarelli

Hello,

Is there any rigs out there that allow you to place the camera and head inside the back seat and passenger seat of a car so you don't have to go hand held?

I suppose a high hat on a few apple boxes and strapped might do the trick, any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

Francisco

• Premium Member

Depending on the car but maybe a high hat and a sand bag.

I once just put a sand bag on the bed of a truck for a "driving shot" and of course was holding the camera.

Also there are suction cup mounts which you could rig depending on the camera.. like onto the back window then a knuckle and a cartellini holding the camera's handle (if it's a small HD camera like an HVX or the like). Talk with your grips they know magic rigging mojo.

• Premium Member

Yeah, I've done the few apples and a high hat with some straps. Also, saw on Sex and the City: The Movie, they took out the back seat of the sedan and then were able to really spread out.

Hi Francisco,

Check this out:

http://www.msegrip.com/matthewscarmountpg1.html

This an alternative way to mount it if you don't want to go the suction cup route. It's a camera mounting plate attached to some pipe that's held by two of the matthews cardellini clamps that are in turn fastened on via mini grip heads to the headrests of the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Francisco i'm a key in south africa. the one way i do it is to take out the back seat, both bottom and back rest if possible. if not then just bottom. then i rig a 4' slider to two cubes strap down ,you now have the option of sitting under the slider and creating a move left and right or just locking it off. i use the dragon grips slider.

the other option is to run a strap under the camera base though the doors strap tight till you feel the tension is right. you still have the option to pan and tilt