XL2 24p Mode"

Kerem

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was at a video rental house today and one of the workers and I got into a conversation about uprezzing mini-DV tape stock onto an HD master. We talked about the 24p mode on the XL2 and he said that some of the technicians in the house felt that the Cannon's 24p mode is not a true 24p mode. He also said that the DVX 100a had a better quality image with it's 24p mode than the XL2.

Now my personal preferance is for the XL line for I like the interchangable lens system. However, there is also an adapter that goes over the lens for the DVX 100 system that can also support PL mounted lenses.

I wonder about other comments to these remarks. Does anyone know about an untrue 24p with the XL2? Has anyone done a shot comparisson between the XL2 and the DVX 100a?

Your question was already answered in the other post you made on this subject.... I will quote David Mullen now:

Yes, the NTSC Canon XL2 will CAPTURE at 24P (actually 23.98P...) but RECORDS it as 60i/480 with a 3:2 pulldown, just as the DVX100 does. The Canon XL1 only had a fake progressive-scan look called "frame mode".

So whoever told you that the XL2 does not have a "Real" 24p mode needs to think about what there saying before they say it... That or maybe they or you where actually refering to the XL1 and just got it confused with the XL2... Because the XL1 does have a "Progressive" mode, although its 30p and its not true progressive.

Edited by Landon D. Parks