Just got quoted to clean and lubricate my bolex OUCH

Dennis Goble

• 4 weeks later...
I just got a quote from procam in prescott AZ for cleaning and lubricating my bolex. :(

$495 :o

ouch :blink:

My bolex take up reel was running a little too slow. Film backed up and jammed. ;)

Maybe I'm a little out of touch here but this seems a little extreme. :P

Are these typical repair fees to expect for the bolex? :unsure:

In response to this forum member in regard to repair charges: you get what you pay for. We just redid some bargain-basement repairs, which were incorrectly serviced. One camera actually had a loose filmgate with the two lower mounting screws missing, causing a lovely huge streak in the image area. The cameras showed out of tolerance reflex framing, missing screws, improperly repaired governors, loose shutter assembly, etc. One unit had the back of the turretplate polished down to adjust the flange, instead of properly replacing the shim behind the filmgate. This actually will cause an incorrect alignment of the reflex system. It also seemed that the cameras were not completely dismantled, only relubed with the mechanism assembly out of the body. Needless to say, each camera took many hours to put back in good working condition, including removal of the silicone sealant used inside the body. As an authorized factory repair station and in order to perform proper repairs, factory tooling and test equipment is employed to the tune of thousands of dollars, plus a complete stock of parts is always available. We are also proud of our basically zero return record. The $495.00 repair is normally only required if the camera requires total dismantling to replace internal parts, as in this members case. Usually a repair, lube and adjustment would run $395.00. Thanks to all the members who understood these service procedures. Just my thoughts regarding this thread.

• 1 month later...
In response to this forum member in regard to repair charges: you get what you pay for. We just redid some bargain-basement repairs, which were incorrectly serviced. One camera actually had a loose film gate with the two lower mounting screws missing, causing a lovely huge streak in the image area. The cameras showed out of tolerance reflex framing, missing screws, improperly repaired governors, loose shutter assembly, etc. One unit had the back of the turret plate polished down to adjust the flange, instead of properly replacing the shim behind the film gate. This actually will cause an incorrect alignment of the reflex system. It also seemed that the cameras were not completely dismantled, only relubed with the mechanism assembly out of the body. Needless to say, each camera took many hours to put back in good working condition, including removal of the silicone sealant used inside the body. As an authorized factory repair station and in order to perform proper repairs, factory tooling and test equipment is employed to the tune of thousands of dollars, plus a complete stock of parts is always available. We are also proud of our basically zero return record. The $495.00 repair is normally only required if the camera requires total dismantling to replace internal parts, as in this members case. Usually a repair, lube and adjustment would run $395.00. Thanks to all the members who understood these service procedures. Just my thoughts regarding this thread.

Thank you Dieter for your enlightening reply and for posting to this forum.

I'm sure your contribution is much appreciated by all Bolex aficianados.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

• Premium Member

I can fully relate to what the camera technicians are saying in this thread. When I was racing sports cars I had the incredible good fortune to have a retired Indianapolis 500 winning Chief Mechanic take me under his wing and teach me how to properly build, set up, and overhaul racing engines. Net result? I raced for ten years after that and never had any serious engine trouble...while racing British sportscars which aren't known for their reliability.

Expert mechanical knowledge is only learned from a Master and Masters never cut corners.

• 4 years later...
  • Premium Member

governor has leather pads that rub on brass, they need a little oil.

This is only true with the oldest models. Younger governors have a different material pads, they should be left dry or with a whiff of graphite or Molykote powder.

I can’t bear wrong things.

If you're going to go through the work and expense of shooting film, why skimp on something as critical as proper camera maintenance? I live in Phoenix and send my stuff up to Dieter (not familiar with the other techs mentioned so no offense to anyone). He has repaired my POE zoom, ESM motor and serviced my Rex5- all operate perfectly and I consider it money well spent- never had a problem. Considering some of the horror stories I've read, I'll just say, Thanks Dieter!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a quote from procam in prescott AZ for cleaning and lubricating my bolex. sad.gif

$495 ohmy.gif

ouch blink.gif

My bolex take up reel was running a little too slow. Film backed up and jammed. wink.gif

Maybe I'm a little out of touch here but this seems a little extreme. tongue.gif

Are these typical repair fees to expect for the bolex? unsure.gif

Mr. Bernie O'Doherty will be cheaper and better. In all honesty.

And he might actually convert it to Ultra 16 for under that price.

But don't quote me on that.

Rene

Edited by Rene Renault

• Premium Member

I can vouch for how much time it takes to service a film camera and how much expertise is required. I've been teaching myself to pull apart bolex cameras and various super 8 cameras and its very, very difficult to understand the various functions and how things just work. I've wanted to give up at various stages and that's even with the generous advice and encouragement of experts such as the late Roger Sharland. I expect it will take me years to become competent and as a professional engineer I had many years servicing down to component level broadcast cameras and vtrs from plumbicon based pickups through to CCD (before tackling film cameras I thought getting the alignment correct for the tape path of a BVW 75 was the most difficult thing in creation).

So I think the camera service guys out there are worth it and as another poster here put it their work adds value to a camera. How their expertise is going to be replaced should be a concern (I'm no spring chicken).