Letus Lens adapters

Hi...i am a cinematographer for India. I was wondering if you could help me with something. I am planning to shoot a film with HD camera probably a sony Hr 1 or Z1. I heard about these Letus Adapters. Can someone enlighten me with the advantages and disadvantages as we do not get them in India i will have to get it from outside. Also are there other adapters and how effective are there>? anyone who has shot using them and can give me a glimpse of there output. Thank you...

• Premium Member

There are lots of adapters out there. Letus, Brevis, SGPro, M2 Red Rock, Movie Tube, P+S Technic's even some home made ones.

Some of the biggest issues with them are such:

1) Backfocus drift (the focus between the ground glass and the recording camera) can change and must be checked.

2) Makes the camera awkward and off balanced for the most part (Movietube is an exception to this)

3) Using still lenses often means making comprimises in mechanical design, edge to edge sharpness, and chromatic abborhations (as well as inconsistent stops across lenses)

4) Limited F-Stop range. You pretty much have to shoot wide open on MOST adapters or else you'll see the pattern of the ground glass.

5) Focusing is a a bit cumbersome

6) They will take away light meaning you need more light (some take far less than others).

7) You only get shallow depth of field. (see above)

That being said, they are nice they

Soften the image and make it often more pleasing.

Allow you to get shallow Depth of Field more easily

Can take cine lenses and then follow focus etc and can be used well

Tend to give a project a certain look which is often desirable.

Help hide less than perfect locations

They are certainly usable and people use them often. I have my own Letus. I like it sometimes, hate it other times. You have to ask yourself if you NEED it and whether it helps tell the story or adds a visual you want for the story. If it does, well then give it a go. You can always take it off of the camera if you don't want it.

• 2 months later...

I own and rent out LETUS adapters.

I have the Letus Ultimate and Letus Elite... Both with all Lense mounts including PL mount, and the ROD SYSTEM needed for your camera.

These adapters only have a light loss of 1/2 stop. They are the best in the market.

Call me:

Joel

JOEL DEUTSCH, SOC

Director of Photography / Cam Op

Local 600, IATSE

EvidenceProductions.com

• 1 month later...