Original HVX200 vs. HMC150

Joe Riggs

I am having trouble finding a footage comparison from the two cameras. I am surprised no one has done a test yet shooting the same subject.

Strictly from he image perspective, which camera HVX200 or HMC150 is better?

HVX200 wold be a better choice

Thanks, but why? I know its 4:2:2 color space. However, I believe the HMC has a newer optic system, the same one thats in the HVX200A. So it would seem like it may have an advantage on the original HVX200.

• 2 months later...

I currently have an HMC150 and have used the original HVX200. The HMC does have the same optics as the HVX200A and HPX170. The HMC150, HVX200A, and HPX170 all have a better image and better low light capabilities then the original HVX200. The HMC, uses the AVCHD format, which only has 4:2:0 color space. From my own experiences, the color space is acceptable for nearly everything I've tried..even green screen. You can always tether the HMC to a computer via HDMI out through a Black Magic Intensity card and you can get 4:2:2 color space, if you really need it. Another difference is that the HMC does not have the variable frame rates the HVX200 has.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just used the hmc150 for the first time. Rented it for a project and in low light the colors looked very dull and washed out. I haven't done any work with it in color yet but I was dissapointed and the rental house gave me free upgrade to the hpx170 for my next shoot. Right out of the case already I can tell a big difference with the color abilities having played around with it for about 5 min. The colors just pop more with the hpx170 and i'm no technological genius.

yes but the HMC 150 can do 1080 60p which can be slowed down to pretty nice slow-mo at 24p

False, the HMC150's records 720p60 and not 1080p60, as most people think. As for the guy above me, maybe the settings from the rented HMC were messed up, because having worked with both, I can tell you that the image quality is pretty much identical.

• 1 month later...