Any AC's out there modified a Red LCD yet?

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has had a go at, or knows anyone who has modified a Red Pro LCD 7" or 5.6" to take a HD-SDI signal from a non-Red camera? Surely someone has rewired one by now to take a BNC and 12V power input?

If anyone knows of a wiring diagram out there it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

• Premium Member
Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has had a go at, or knows anyone who has modified a Red Pro LCD 7" or 5.6" to take a HD-SDI signal from a non-Red camera? Surely someone has rewired one by now to take a BNC and 12V power input?

If anyone knows of a wiring diagram out there it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Would make a pretty nice little monitor. I wish RED would make their stuff a little more standardized rather than going off just to be different. I'm certainly not going to drop the cash on one to, possibly, destroy it.

It is my understanding that the majority of the electronics and circuitry required to drive the RED LCD's actually reside in the camera body itself, which is why it has to connect via a lemo connector with many pins. It's also why the LCD itself is so thin. I don't think it's possible to rewire it to accept an HD-SDI signal because all the signal processing is done by the camera, not to mention that the panel also has a non-standard resolution.

It is my understanding that the majority of the electronics and circuitry required to drive the RED LCD's actually reside in the camera body itself, which is why it has to connect via a lemo connector with many pins. It's also why the LCD itself is so thin. I don't think it's possible to rewire it to accept an HD-SDI signal because all the signal processing is done by the camera, not to mention that the panel also has a non-standard resolution.

Ofcourse :D

That explains everything.

Thanks mate

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

That monitor isn't very good though.... Sure, when you're right in front of it at the exact perfect angle it looks good, but if you're off axis by a degree or two it's un-viewable. I think there are quite a few much better monitors out there that don't need modifying. Is it how cheap it is that makes it attractive?

• Premium Member
That monitor isn't very good though.... Sure, when you're right in front of it at the exact perfect angle it looks good, but if you're off axis by a degree or two it's un-viewable. I think there are quite a few much better monitors out there that don't need modifying. Is it how cheap it is that makes it attractive?

I like how light and thin it is.