Best lens and wide converter combination

Naren Wilks

Hello! My apologies if this question has been answered already, I had a good search through the forum but didn’t find anything yet… I’m about to undertake a project involving 4 identical cameras (with 4 identical wide angle adapters attached) filming the same scene from different points of view, so I need to make sure I get the best setup. Currently I have a Nizo 481 macro (with the 8-48m lens) and a raynox 0.3x converter, which gives me horizontal focal length of about 3mm (just right for my needs). I was thinking about simply sourcing 3 more of these cameras and converter lenses, but wondered if I might get sharper results from a different set up. I’ve heard good things about the Neovaron 6-51mm lens as found on various Bauer cameras like the C900 XLM, which when coupled with a raynox 0.5x would give me a similar focal length. I have not heard anyone rave about the Nizo lens I currently own, so what do you think? Will the Bauer setup be any better? I know adding wide angle converter lenses degrades sharpness no matter what, but anything I can do to lessen that effect would be good. Presumably the more extreme the conversion the worse the loss of sharpness will be? So starting from 6mm and converting by 0.5x should be better than starting at 8mm and converting by 0.3x? Any help would be hugely appreciated, before I invest in 4 super 8 cameras I’d like to be sure I’m getting the right ones! If anyone has any experiences with wide angle adapters I’d like very much to hear from you. Thanks! Naren