how to date film

I have a factory sealed can of 7218-161-3001, does anyone know the date of this film?

I would suggest flowers and candy. Film likes nice quiet restaurants off the beaten path and perhaps a long walk in the moonlight by the river.

7218-161-3001 has been known to be very fickle, so don't call her for a few days after the date, play hard to get.

R,

I would suggest flowers and candy. Film likes nice quiet restaurants off the beaten path and perhaps a long walk in the moonlight by the river.

7218-161-3001 has been known to be very fickle, so don't call her for a few days after the date, play hard to get.

R,

:wub:

Seriously, film is like a pretty woman, eating up all of one's money, time, and attention. And it is always *your fault* if things don't come out OK :rolleyes:

Kodak used to have edgecodes with the date stamped in. I forget how it is done now, but there is still a latent image manufacture date, if I recall correctly.

• Premium Member
Seriously, film is like a pretty woman, eating up all of one's money, time, and attention. And it is always *your fault* if things don't come out OK :rolleyes:

Thank you for my new signature line.

R,

Don't forget to remove the core. That's if you have to. Yeah, I went there.

• Premium Member
Kodak used to have edgecodes with the date stamped in. I forget how it is done now, but there is still a latent image manufacture date, if I recall correctly.

Yes, there's a bunch of coded stuff in the latent image, circles, triangles, squares, etc, one code per year. They have a 20 year cycle of these edge codes, so the same code could be 1927, 1947, 1967, 1987, 2007, etc. Your Kodak rep can get them deciphered for you. For the OP, they can also tell you the date from the number on the can, 7218-161-3001.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Yes, there's a bunch of coded stuff in the latent image, circles, triangles, squares, etc, one code per year. They have a 20 year cycle of these edge codes, so the same code could be 1927, 1947, 1967, 1987, 2007, etc. Your Kodak rep can get them deciphered for you. For the OP, they can also tell you the date from the number on the can, 7218-161-3001.

I THINK that the negative films have a two letter date code as part of the Keycode number, while they went to open dating (just the year) on print films. The Kodak web site did have the 2 letter codes for a while but I think they did not have the current ones..

Other stock may still use the "dot Plus Square" type codes.

-- J.S.

DO they really still have the circles triangles and squares?

[Reaches for rack of 16mm negatives/positives to see for himself. . .]

At least with 16mm Reversal, circa 2004, they just typed out the date of manufacture. . .

P.S. Chris: Feel free to quote me, but leave my name out. Lol. I have enough time picking up chicks so as it is, without having thousands and thousands of hits with my name in it and this exagerated (but completely true :-p ) analogy thrown in. B)

P.S. Chris: Feel free to quote me, but leave my name out. Lol. I have enough time picking up chicks so as it is, without having thousands and thousands of hits with my name in it and this exagerated (but completely true :-p ) analogy thrown in. B)

It's a curse I know all too well. :lol:

DO they really still have the circles triangles and squares?

[Reaches for rack of 16mm negatives/positives to see for himself. . .]

The date codes now differ from stock to stock. Quite a number of stocks have the date in plain lettering, some stocks still use the two letter code, the corresponding dates appear on the Kodak website. Ther are also stocks that do not have a date code and I have come across some 35mm B/W Pos 2302 that has K.ODAK 9 12 11 10 9 8 the first 9 is the strip number, the last 5 numbers indicate the year. This was 2008, for 2009 the 8 will have been removed.

Brian

• Premium Member
... I have come across some 35mm B/W Pos 2302 that has K.ODAK 9 12 11 10 9 8 the first 9 is the strip number, the last 5 numbers indicate the year. This was 2008, for 2009 the 8 will have been removed.

This looks like the way that book publishers do "printing" numbers. The plate originally has the numbers counting down from 10 to 1, and each time they set up a new printing, they cut away the previous number. Perhaps the Kodak guys paint out the last year's number in January.

-- J.S.

I would suggest flowers and candy. Film likes nice quiet restaurants.....

No no no no NO. You got it all wrong friend. That's for a different kind of animal.

May I suggest "lens and shutter"? (and if that don't work, try claw and registration pin although sounds like grab and rape)

PS. Don't use cannons to kill mosquitoes.

(flowers'n candy 4 film. Sheesh.....)

I wonder if exposing it to something cultural like a museum would help to break the ice?

CAN WE PLEASE GET BACK ON TOPIC? Who am I kidding? I'm just bitter that the last film I dated never called. I'm so lonely.

You ask about dating film . . . .

It is of course important to know how old it is (or you could end up in trouble). Although of course, the younger the better. But you also need to know where it has been.

If its been in hot places, then don't go near it. You need a roll with a really cool history as well as one that isn't too old. (That's even more true for the faster types).

I'm sure you will realise this is actually a serious on-topic answer :lol:

You ask about dating film . . . .

It is of course important to know how old it is (or you could end up in trouble). Although of course, the younger the better. But you also need to know where it has been.

If its been in hot places, then don't go near it. You need a roll with a really cool history as well as one that isn't too old. (That's even more true for the faster types).

I'm sure you will realise this is actually a serious on-topic answer :lol:

Dominic, aren't you up past your bed-time? :-p

I thought you Aussies still had a 15-year age of consent and 13 with a parent's approval still, no?

I thought it was still like "Rabit Proof Fence" or "The Proposition" over there. . .

Edited by Karl Borowski