Does anyone still use non-reflex Bolexes?

Jim Carlile

Hello

I have a reflex bolex and I spend a lot of time trying to get the focus correct. It's one

of the early ones so the viewfinder is quite dim when stopped down even a little.

Maybe with the non reflex cameras people get more shooting done and worry less

about getting focus absolutely correct.

Hello

I have a reflex bolex and I spend a lot of time trying to get the focus correct. It's one

of the early ones so the viewfinder is quite dim when stopped down even a little.

Maybe with the non reflex cameras people get more shooting done and worry less

about getting focus absolutely correct.

Maybe they do, but, assuming they actually get the footage they shoot developed, these things will still matter with a non-rex model, just that you have no way of knowing with absolute certainty while you're shooting if you've buzzed the focus or not.

• Premium Member

I think reflex viewing is overrated. The Octometer was much easier to frame with than the viewfinder on my early Rex. The old Bolex has a critical focusser if you can't use measurements. Now go shoot your film!

Bruce Taylor

www.indi35.com

• Premium Member
The old Bolex has a critical focusser if you can't use measurements.

Yes, and a rackover accessory if you want to frame on the ground glass. The parallax finder, though, isn't as nice as Mitchell's. You could operate the BNC with both eyes open, which is a nice ergonomic advantage at the end of a long day.

-- J.S.