SI-2K Review with Clips

John Brawley

Hi John,

I'm a SI-2K owner and I always wanted to do anamorphic, but in my country is impossible to rent s16mm anamorphic lenses.

I never tought to use this kind of adaptors, but it seems like a good idea. I still have some questions like if you find a way to monitor the shoots unsqueezed, or if you edit and later at DI you unsqueezed the image.

I would be really grateful if I can get some full render stills of your short film, so I can analyze with the director of my next feature, and have it lilke an option.

Best of luck.

Hi John,

I'm a SI-2K owner and I always wanted to do anamorphic, but in my country is impossible to rent s16mm anamorphic lenses.

I never tought to use this kind of adaptors, but it seems like a good idea. I still have some questions like if you find a way to monitor the shoots unsqueezed, or if you edit and later at DI you unsqueezed the image.

I would be really grateful if I can get some full render stills of your short film, so I can analyze with the director of my next feature, and have it lilke an option.

Best of luck.

Just so you are aware, there is no such thing as Super 16 anamorphic lenses. All super 16 lenses, whether they be primes or zooms are spherical. At least to my knowledge.

you can un squeeze the image in post.

Hi guys.

I posted some screen shots. Now I"ve thrown a review together and some short clips from a recent SI shoot I did.

Go here

Enjoy.

jb

How do the images look on your screen at home. On my web browser they look a little soft. I suppose it is the compression for the web, but I can't help but thing that the panasonic anamorphic adapter was made for a much lower res camera (DVX100) and that you are loosing image quality because of it. I realize your budget constraints, however Canon did make a pro adapter that fits behind the lens. I do think though, it is very expesive. I am a film guy, but I like the look of the SI2k more so than other big boy digital rigs out there.

• Premium Member
How do the images look on your screen at home. On my web browser they look a little soft. I suppose it is the compression for the web, but I can't help but thing that the panasonic anamorphic adapter was made for a much lower res camera (DVX100) and that you are loosing image quality because of it. I realize your budget constraints, however Canon did make a pro adapter that fits behind the lens. I do think though, it is very expesive. I am a film guy, but I like the look of the SI2k more so than other big boy digital rigs out there.

Hi Chris.

I wasn't aware Canon did a rear fitted anamorphic adaptor. I assume that's a 1.3x as well ? I've never seen one and am reasonably familiar with the rental inventories in Australia. I don't think you can rent one here anyway.

It's definitely not master primes and I would describe the images (and do in the article) as being soft, but I don't think it's particularly offensive. I decided to embrace the flaws of doing it this way in order to give my directors an optical anamorphic look. The Directors are big fans of 70's/80's Hong Kong cinema and the whole film has a lot has this kind of schtick as you can see from the stills. Of course I knew that it was a very flawed way of creating images. I wanted to embrace Low-Fi having done anamorphic and Super 35 for 2:35...here was another way to get there !

Interesting things happen when you're asked to do or deliver something that's outside of the box of have to fight your way out of the corner of a room. I think it's great to have found an alternative to the obsessively sharp images digital imaging can create. Originally it was going to be a RED shoot. I could have *made do* with the extraction of 2x Anamorphic lenses and had a totally different look. I could have shot spherical with 16mm format lenses and then extracted a 2:35 image from that. But having done a few *sharp* films i thought it was time to explore somewhere else...

Technical perfection is one thing, but I think there are lots of ways of accessing a story visually.

jb

• Premium Member
Hi John,

Best of luck.

Hi Andronico,

Monitoring is very easy because you just simply use a 16x9 monitor and THEN turn on 16x9 in the menu or with the switch. You then have the right aspect ratio. (it's like two lots of 16x9)

Contact me via PM or john@johnbrawley.com and i'll send you some stills.

jb

Just so you are aware, there is no such thing as Super 16 anamorphic lenses. All super 16 lenses, whether they be primes or zooms are spherical. At least to my knowledge.

you can un squeeze the image in post.

Hi Chris,

Check out the Hawk V-Lite 16mm Anamorphic Prime lenses at www.vantagefilm.com they have two versions, the Normal that squeeze at 2x and the Super 16 that squeeze at 1.3x, these are quite new.

What I wanted to know is if they unsqueezed the Cineform Raw directly in FCP or PP, or they prefer to edit with the image squeezed and later unsqueezed in the DI. I had some experience with the Cineform Raw files in long projects, and sometimes when you abuse of the video filters or transform some values of a lot of clips, like the size or position, the PP crahes a lot. So its better not to mess with the Raw files.

Did you know the name of the Canon adapter?

Edited by Andronico Gonzalez