Arri 35mm and Lenses

Scott Pickering

I'm watching for now some auctions on Ebay to see what pricing is for 35mm Arri cameras. An inexpensive way to get into 35mm seems to be the Arri 2C camera. I'd really like to get something like a Arri BL2 or BL3, but pricing is much more for those and the cameras aren't often for sale. Anyway with both the 2C and BL2, which lens mount should I be looking for to use anamorphic lenses on these cams? I've seen the 2C with a few different mounts, one being a PL mount. Any ideas of what anamophic lenses I could use with either of these cameras? And where to purchase?

Im not ready to buy yet, just gathering info now. Any word on using anamorphics with Arris? And is there a way to unsqueeze the image in the viewfinder, or should it just be left squeezed and live with it?

• Premium Member

The most common mount in the rental world is PL, so if you plan on renting anamorphic lenses, I'd get that for your 2C.

I don't know of any de-squeezing anamorphic viewfinders for a 2C -- you're just going to have to get used to framing a squeezed image.

The most common mount in the rental world is PL, so if you plan on renting anamorphic lenses, I'd get that for your 2C.

I don't know of any de-squeezing anamorphic viewfinders for a 2C -- you're just going to have to get used to framing a squeezed image.

I operated b camera on this movie called "Blast" and If I remember correctly I had a BL-3. Not only was the imaged squeezed, it was out of focus. It was just a guessing game.

• Premium Member

...which is easier to get used to than you might think. Also, if you have a video tap you can run a 16x9 display on your monitor and it's close enough to get a feel for what it's going to look like unsqueezed.

Bruce Taylor

www.indi35.com

The Arri 2C has had an unsqueezing element available since 1965. That was one of the changes that occurred from 2B to 2C. The larger, circular section at the front of the camera door houses this element. It can be swung in and out as well as serving to close the viewing tube.

Bruce

The Arri 2C has had an unsqueezing element available since 1965. That was one of the changes that occurred from 2B to 2C. The larger, circular section at the front of the camera door houses this element. It can be swung in and out as well as serving to close the viewing tube.

Bruce

I would guess finding such an element may be difficult. Most of these cameras seem to be used with spherical lenses. I checked pricing on some anamorphic lenses and wow- they go for some real money used. Way more then a 2C kit would cost.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello Mr.Mullen

Can you give me any idea on how to upgrade my IIC with PL mount and video assist.What could be the prices?

Thanks

Gavrosh

• Premium Member

Can you give me any idea on how to upgrade my IIC with PL mount and video assist.What could be the prices?

I think your best bet would be to contact Bruce McNaughton at ArandaFilm.com.au for that. He does this work all the time.

Bruce Taylor

• 3 weeks later...