CTO and CTB??

Okay,

I am shooting a scene in a bedroom with the main source daylight with a 2k shooting through the window, and going to shoot 5500k preset on the hvx200 w/ redrock.

So if I want to have my arri Fresnel’s (wich are 3200k) match my preset, I would full CTO them??? Right? and for the 2k would I CTO that to match that as 5500k??

And the same at night, with the 2k my "moon" (shooting at 3200k then) I would full CTB it right?

thanks a lot

Kyle

• Premium Member

CTO corrects Daylight to Tungsten, CTB corrects Tungsten to Daylight. To make a 3200K Fresnel match a daylight preset, you'd gel with CTO (full) and loose 2 stops of light from it. To make a window match the interior film lights (NOT the ones in your household lamp which are closest to 2900K) you'd use full CTO.

CTO; 5600K~>3200K

CTB; 3200K~>5600K

For more infor (and a free swatch book!) see http://www.leefilters.com/

Kyle, why you shooting 5500K?

because most of the light in the room is day light mixed with a few arri's, I would rather do that then have to CTO the big window, when I can CTB the lamps im using. right?

kyle

• Premium Member
because most of the light in the room is day light mixed with a few arri's, I would rather do that then have to CTO the big window, when I can CTB the lamps im using. right?

kyle

You can do that, but remember that full CTB will cut 1-2/3 stops from all of your lights that way. If you want the output of a 1K, you'll need a 5K scrimmed down a little bit once the CTB is on there. In most cases, it's easier and more efficient use of your resources to gel the windows orange.

You can do that, but remember that full CTB will cut 1-2/3 stops from all of your lights that way. If you want the output of a 1K, you'll need a 5K scrimmed down a little bit once the CTB is on there. In most cases, it's easier and more efficient use of your resources to gel the windows orange.

Yeah, I see what you are saying, we might be able to get away with 1/2 CTO, but having to gel the window would be better, I agree.

thanks for your reply

• Premium Member
Yeah, I see what you are saying, we might be able to get away with 1/2 CTO, but having to gel the window would be better, I agree.

thanks for your reply

You can do partial correction if you want. It's pretty common (and a nice look) to have some orange-blue color contrast between sources like that.