a photochemical finish for a 35mm release

What is your opinion on using a HD one light 35mm transfer for both TV presentation and the creation of an EDL? I’m trying to avoid the cost of a scan, DI and film out. This is for a 35mm project, finished photo chemically for a theatrical release.

Dan

• Premium Member
What is your opinion on using a HD one light 35mm transfer for both TV presentation and the creation of an EDL? I’m trying to avoid the cost of a scan, DI and film out. This is for a 35mm project, finished photo chemically for a theatrical release.

Dan

That's fine but it all depends on the quality of the HD one-light transfer -- and you'd still have to do a tape-to-tape color-correction for final HD mastering for home video. Ideally it would be to HDCAM-SR in LOG (for maximum flexibility in color-correction), preferably 4:4:4 but you can get away with 4:2:2. The only issue there though is that if your "one-light" HD transfer is in the LOG format, you'd then have to pass it through a LUT for making the dailies (maybe SD) with normal broadcast video contrast/gamma for editorial -- unless you want to be watching washed-out looking LOG images for dailies and thru editing.

I assume the point of all this is to have an HD transfer for HD mastering, as opposed to transferring to SD at lower cost & quality for editing, then finishing photochemically, and then after answer printing, striking a color-timed I.P. for final transfer to HD.