need help / sugestions

hello, i'm a film student in bucharest, romania and i came across this dilemma.

right, so the room wich i am going to shoot in is going to be a kitchen in an really old house, out in the country; roughly 4 / 4 meters and the ceiling is TILTED at its highest point is about 2 meters high ( at the door) and gose down to about 1.6 -1.5 meters, at the wall facing the doorway. the action will take place at night, so light thru the windows and doorway is pretty much ruled out. i don.t see how i can hang any top lights as they would be in the shot

will appreciate any thoughts on this matter,

thank you kindly !

Bogdanovici Barbu

• Premium Member

Add practical lamps in the room that will light the actors.

If you absolutely need to add a light to the ceiling, sometimes you can get the art department to put a fake beam in there to hide a light behind it. Otherwise, I'd probably rule out top light and light from the sides, either with an on-camera practical, or by hiding a light behind furniture, or both.

You can find the parts of the room that are offscreen, tape griff, ultrabounce, or even silk to the roof and bounce small units on the floor near the camera. That would build a general ambiance. From there super small units can be hidden sometimes in art direction. Even as small as a 12v 50w par bulb wired to a battery. Those can be used to edge things out, or create hot spots.

Fabric keeps the light source very low profile. if drooping is a problem, then you can use bead board or showcards.