Bolex EBM S16 test footage

Elliot Rudmann

Hey guys,

I shot some stuff on my recently purchased Bolex EBM (s16 conversion by JK Camera) and thought I'd post the results I threw together in an edit. This is by no means "Hunter Richards test footage" quality haha. I was just making sure the camera worked and properly exposed the film, wasn't going for anything too aesthetic. Used Canon FD lenses via Les Bosher adapter.

Stocks I used were 7218 (expired, so it was a little grainy) and 7201. Footage was scanned on an Arriscan @ 2k resolution, color graded on a baselight, cropped for 1.78 HD.

You can watch it/download it here:

Vimeo link

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Elliot

Looks fantastic. Nice to see some 16mm with a Bolex. The camera mechanics and the conversion seem spot on. The adapter also seems to work properly. Most shots are sharp, and a few soft, but I know the Bolex is dificult to focus. During the shot starting at 59 seconds there is a curious double flare below and right of the chin. I wonder what caused that, but I'm guessing the 24mm lens was used.

I am a bit curious as to your choice of lenses.

Looks fantastic. Nice to see some 16mm with a Bolex. The camera mechanics and the conversion seem spot on. The adapter also seems to work properly. Most shots are sharp, and a few soft, but I know the Bolex is dificult to focus. During the shot starting at 59 seconds there is a curious double flare below and right of the chin. I wonder what caused that, but I'm guessing the 24mm lens was used.

I am a bit curious as to your choice of lenses.

Thanks mike, glad you liked the footage. Unfortunately the bolex is a bit tough to focus; combine that with an slr lens with a shorter focus distance/turning ratio and you begin to question how you even got those few sharp shots in focus! The flare of which you speak confuses me as well. It was actually a flare of those two candles in the shot. I did shoot that shot with the 24mm 2.8, with no uv filter, so perhaps it's just a bad characteristic of the lens. Eventually I will upgrade to the switars (I just bought a 10mm preset switar).