Bloody facebook

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

Until about six weeks ago, I had never heard of anyone other than fifteen-year-old schoolgirls using facebook. Since then, at least ten people in the industry have asked me if "I'm on facebook".

I have long considered online social networking to be a hateful extension of needy teenage friendlessness, and considered acquaintances I can go and meet for lunch to be much more entertaining.

Am I now required to sign up for this sort of adolescent drivel, or can I wait another six weeks for it to fade back into the obscurity it so richly deserves?

P

• Premium Member
Until about six weeks ago, I had never heard of anyone other than fifteen-year-old schoolgirls using facebook. Since then, at least ten people in the industry have asked me if "I'm on facebook".

I have long considered online social networking to be a hateful extension of needy teenage friendlessness, and considered acquaintances I can go and meet for lunch to be much more entertaining.

Am I now required to sign up for this sort of adolescent drivel, or can I wait another six weeks for it to fade back into the obscurity it so richly deserves?

P

I think Twitter was the breaking point. Once twitter hit, it suddenly became, "well, if not twitter, you must be on something..."

Our local film commission has a Facebook page and now seems to have a collected a few friends. From what I've seen so far it seems to only have material from their website.

The downside seems to be Facebook appears to regularly attempt to use aspects of their membership data as a revenue steam.

I know a few people who who have expanded their on-line social networking for something more than just lunch. That was a long time before Facebook and similar sites existed.

• Premium Member

I had a myspace when it first came out and would ditch it were it not for the "filmmaker's group" i found thereon, where I keep a 30 pg long thingi of what I'm up to. A few people ask me questions on there, so it kills some time. I dislike facebook, but, alas, am stuck there forever it seems as more and more lo/no productions use it as a means of sending out massive messages (suppose they never learned to use teh CC and BCC tools on an e mail program). Twitter... well I just don't get it...

I think facebook is a bit of a time waster. But I will say that I like it a lot, cause it is a great way to show my friends all my artistic photos and such, so I get a lot of feedback. And since a lot of my friends live farther away, facebook allows me to do this quite easily. The same goes with keeping in touch with them. Also, since a director that I work with lives in Chicago, a lot of times we'll just talk about pre-production stuff on there, and save the cost of talking on the phone. So it's kind of a love-hate situation for me.

I feel out of place on Facebook. But I use Linked-In to some advantage. Trouble is, I find the best way to explain what it is to other people is to say "it's like Facebook for grown-ups".

At a conference recently, a speaker suggested that people born this century may never know about Facebook - such is the speed of change that it will probably have been replaced before they are old enough (though I suspect some 9 year-olds are there already).

I was forced to sign up just to view a poster for a movie I shot. The production company just wouldn't email it, and said, its on facebook, just sign up and you can see it.

Two days later I had friend requests from at least 4 people I hadn't seen or heard from in years. Not terribly useful, but its not worthless. Accidental communication is always a good thing, when planned conversations can't/doesn't happen.

Now when my governor signed up for twitter (two days after I found out what twitter was) I knew it wasn't for me. But at least now I can keep a constant state of awareness about her feelings visa vis the swine flu we don't have(she's still against it)

Yeah, in my mind, twitter's just kind of over doing it. I remember when I was like 13 and it was xanga that all my friends were raving about. Then it was myspace. Then facebook, and now twitter. The next thing is probably going to be coming along any day now.

• 3 weeks later...

Er... I've organised shoots via facebook, chatted with producers about projects on it, got offers of work through it...

I hate myspace (there's only bands and whores left on it, and the user interface still redefines 'unfriendly') and twitter seems to be increasingly hijacked as a corporate/personal marketing tool - so I've not warmed to it.

I think facebook is great, though.

• Premium Member

... I'm on myspace and I don't play an instrument... So i guess that means I'm a..... ;)

The one reason I stay on myspace is only because I have some friends on there who don't have a facebook, though honestly I often worry about what facebook does with all that information i put on there...

... I'm on myspace and I don't play an instrument... So i guess that means I'm a..... ;)

Well you are in the film industry.....

I was going to hold that back until I saw you endorse the Genesis. The only thing good on that was sonic and kid chameleon. There's a reason they went under as a console maker. In my eyes the NES was the only true system until the 64.

• Premium Member

Honestly for me on Sega it was all 'bout Jurassic Park, and Jurassic Park Rampage edition. In fact, I still recall the "code" for the final level, CVVVVVT4, or something like that.

Now, I can't fault SNES, and I recall many a night eating cheetos and playing Star Fox. And of course 64 was the best thing since dungeons and dragons/warhammer for me what with Golden Eye and later on Perfect Dark.. ahh memories of highschool, friends, and having something like 3 "moms" all 'round the corner.... Damn, now I've got all nostalgic...

Reminds me of the old joke about a guy who said "All women from Philadelphia are hookers or hockey players." Another man said, in a dangerous voice, "My wife is from Philadelphia."

First man: "Really? What position does she play?"

ba-DUM-bum!

--

Jim

That's what I get for putting my location in my signature. Oh the humanity :P

Dunno where they got the hockey analogy, though, could've sworn that was a northerly sport ;)

Well, I admit I did customize the joke based on your signature :-)

• 1 month later...

I don't know I think facebook is pretty ground breaking. I mean, no other online social web site is as popular, and it's become a huge trend that it's uncommon to NOT find people on it.

Aslong as they don't make the mistake myspace did, become too commercial and ruin all the sociology aspects.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

Well see that just makes one feel special.

back to facebook, though, I wonder if anyone here has ever lost a job based on facebook or their online "exposure," via some questionable pictures etc?

I know of someone who lost their job when bad mouthing the company they worked for through facebook. Although he sued for unfair dismissal later and got offered either money or his job back. He took the money.