Filters: how reliable is what you see in the viewfinder?

Karel Bata

Over the years I've heard and read a number of cinematographers say that when using a filter or net over the lens you can't trust what you see in the viewfinder - the final result is often noticeably different. This has always puzzled me.

Is it true? Why?

And while we're here - what other ways might the viewfinder image be misleading?

• Premium Member
Over the years I've heard and read a number of cinematographers say that when using a filter or net over the lens you can't trust what you see in the viewfinder - the final result is often noticeably different. This has always puzzled me.

Is it true? Why?

And while we're here - what other ways might the viewfinder image be misleading?

The strength of a diffusion filter has to be judged by looking at the image at the likely display size. That's why for a small magazine ad photo, they often have to show you a heavy strength like a ProMist #1 just to show the effect. A viewfinder image is too small to judge whether the diffusion is too much or not.

Also, the viewfinder image is an optical projection onto a groundglass, which is a form of very mild diffusion and contrast loss, so you want to factor that into your thinking. But the main problem is the size of the image; you respond to certain things differently when they are on a much bigger screen.

Thanks. Your answers are a little surprising. I thought it would be something more technical. After all, looking down a viewfinder the image is as big on your retina, if not bigger, than you would see projected in a cinema. The brain refuses to be fooled eh?

" ...an optical projection onto a groundglass, which is a form of very mild diffusion and contrast loss, so you want to factor that into your thinking"

That makes sense. ;)