Canon 5D on set

Hi!

Has anybody used 5D (Mark I) on set to check exposures/contrast?

Would you say that 500 ISO corresponds to Vision 3 7219 (with all the other camera picture settings left untouched)?

If not - what is wrong on the digital image? More info in shadows, clipping highlights?

Really interested to hear from those who used 5D Mark I particularly.

Thanks a lot!

ps. Is it just me, or search engine became worst? I can't to seem find even some basic topics anymore. Getting 'error' page in most of times.

I just finished gaffing a feature where we used my Digital Rebel XT to take set stills to send to the dailies colorist, also looked at them for references for matching scenes and going back for pick ups. The film was shot on 35mm and the DP timed the stills in Photoshop and sent them off to the colorist.

Having seen only a little bit of downconverted SD dailies, I would say the Canon stills were fairly accurate but the highlights blew out much faster. I overexposed the Canon stills by 2/3rd's of a stop because it seems to match my meter better and I'd rather have more exposure for the 35mm negative if the DP ends up making an exposure decision based on a digital still. It's a useful tool for me, we had all the stills on one flash card and it was nice to be able to scroll through the movie and see all the lighting set ups, especially if you needed to match a scene.

Hi!

Would you say that 500 ISO corresponds to Vision 3 7219 (with all the other camera picture settings left untouched)?

If not - what is wrong on the digital image? More info in shadows, clipping highlights?

Thanks a lot!

ps. Is it just me, or search engine became worst? I can't to seem find even some basic topics anymore. Getting 'error' page in most of times.

Hi Edgar,

I did this on a picture last year and discovered quickly that the LCD screen on the 5D is pretty useless for judging contrast a lot of the time, especially on dark scenes.

I did send files by email to the lab after adjusting in Photoshop on a calibrated monitor to help with dailies timing. In my case, the laboratory in Istanbul didn't have any calibrated computer screens to view them, and dailies timing there turned out to be a hopeless adventure in any case. Because of the poor and delayed dailies, I found reviewing the 5d stills at the end of the day very valuable.

The stills from the 5d were quite good though, and if you're curious I have a few here

Best of luck with your up-coming picture!

Hi!

Thanks a lot!

I forgot to mention that I shot 5218 at ISO 400 and set my 5d to manual exposure at ISO 800 and 1/100 sec shutter speed and matched the f-stop to the exposure on the movie camera. I used prime lenses on the 5d so I was able to set the iris at f2.0 when needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot, guys!

Shot the short, used 5D as reference time-to-time. Mainly to check the colour temperatures.

Found that 5D is way less sensitive in darks than 7219. Shot a scene with the key 2 stops under (0.7) - part of the "practicals only" idea on exterior part of the film. Was really worried - stills looked very-very dark.

And rushes came back just fine.

• 6 months later...

Were you shooting RAW on the 5D, and if so how did you convert to something visible?

you can probably design a conversions curve (eg in Adobe camera RAW) that will have the 5D darks display sinilarly to the 7219, though possibly with disproprtionate grain.

• Premium Member
I did send files by email to the lab after adjusting in Photoshop on a calibrated monitor to help with dailies timing. In my case, the laboratory in Istanbul didn't have any calibrated computer screens to view them, and dailies timing there turned out to be a hopeless adventure in any case. Because of the poor and delayed dailies, I found reviewing the 5d stills at the end of the day very valuable.

Try to get Dominic or Jamie to do your stuff at 1000 Volt in Istanbul