Adapting an Arri Standard Mount to BNCR?

Does anyone know if it's possible to adapt a lens with the ARRI Standard Mount to a BNCR mount camera?

I've read that there might be bayonet to BNCR adapters, but I have not read about a std-BNCR adapter.

If it's possible, does anyone know someone who sells those?

thanks for any clues, cheers Xax

• Premium Member
Does anyone know if it's possible to adapt a lens with the ARRI Standard Mount to a BNCR mount camera?

I've read that there might be bayonet to BNCR adapters, but I have not read about a std-BNCR adapter.

If it's possible, does anyone know someone who sells those?

thanks for any clues, cheers Xax

Pretty sure I have some in my Ultracam 'junk' boxes, I will look!

• Premium Member
please do! that would be great!

cheers, xax

One problem with using these standard-to-BNCR adaptors is that it is physically difficult to access the focus ring on the lenses. You typically need to remove the focusing 'wings'.

Stephen, have you by any chance come up with any workaround solutions for this?

Thanks.

• Premium Member

IIRC, the older Standard lenses would work in the newer Steel Bayonet socket. For a while, the II-C's were shipped with one SB and two standard ports. If I'm remembering that right, it seems likely that an SB to BNCR adapter would do everything you want. Flange focal distance requirements might force things to be a bit cramped, though.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
IIRC, the older Standard lenses would work in the newer Steel Bayonet socket. For a while, the II-C's were shipped with one SB and two standard ports. If I'm remembering that right, it seems likely that an SB to BNCR adapter would do everything you want. Flange focal distance requirements might force things to be a bit cramped, though.

-- J.S.

Hi John,

Looks like the mount adapter I have is Bayo, it's lightweight & not steel. I am not sure if it will work or not, what do you think?

Best,

Stephen

post-3524-1241546517.jpg

post-3524-1241546533.jpg

post-3524-1241546556.jpg

• Premium Member

Stephen,

Now that is one truly strange adapter. I don't know the BNCR mount that well, but I'm rather familiar with the ARRI. That piece you have has an ARRI standard mount on one end, and what looks like a BNC mount on the other. But (again not really knowing the BNC mounts) they both look to be male mounts. I can't imagine what that adapter is used for.

The ARRI standard mount on there would fit right into an ARRI standard mount turret on a camera, and the BNC mount looks like it would fit right into a BNC mount of a camera, so then you would have the two cameras facing each other. Then what would you do?

I could be totally missing something, but I can't understand how that adapter works at all.

Best,

-Tim

PS: I just realized what that mount could be used for. Maybe it is a lens mount, not a mount adapter, and if you mount that mount on a lens, then you could use that lens on both a camera with a BNC mount and on a camera with an ARRI standard mount. So it is a lens mount that is designed to fit on two different camera mounts. Just a thought.

• Premium Member
Hi John,

Looks like the mount adapter I have is Bayo, it's lightweight & not steel. I am not sure if it will work or not, what do you think?

Best,

Stephen

Ah... yes... It's the mystery mount/adaptor/whatnot. I've got one also. Nobody has any idea what this piece is used for... not the guy I got it from, or the lens technicians I've shown it to. Does anyone out there have any idea what this thing is, and what it's made for? (No guesses, please, as I've heard them all.)

• Premium Member
Now that is one truly strange adapter. I don't know the BNCR mount that well, but I'm rather familiar with the ARRI. ............. Maybe it is a lens mount, not a mount adapter, and if you mount that mount on a lens, then you could use that lens on both a camera with a BNC mount and on a camera with an ARRI standard mount.

Well, whatever it is, it isn't extremely rare. There was one on ebay recently, Stephen has one, and I've got one. Mine came from England with an assortment of Arri odds and ends I bought off ebay a couple of years ago.

• Premium Member

The more I look at it the more I believe it is a lens mount. Guessing at the distance between what would be the flange when mounted on a BNC mount camera and the flange when mounted on an ARRI standard mount camera, looks to be the same dimension you would get if you subtracted the ARRI FFD from the BNC FFD. That and then when you see the three mounting holes.

Since Stephen is saying it is made out of a lightweight material (guessing aluminum) which would not be terribly stable for a lens mount, maybe they were not used much. And realize that the BNC and ARRI standard mounts were popular 50, 60 70 years ago. So these things could have been made at one time to cover a need of switching lenses between BNC mount and ARRI standard mount cameras (pretty much all that was available at that time) but they didn't work terribly well, so they got taken off and now they're just floating around on eBay and in old camera kit. And all the folks who knew about them are long ago retired or expired.

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it!

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member
Well, whatever it is, it isn't extremely rare. There was one on ebay recently, Stephen has one, and I've got one. Mine came from England with an assortment of Arri odds and ends I bought off ebay a couple of years ago.

There were 4 with my first Ultracam package!

• Premium Member

I think Tim has the right idea. It was probably used with fairly long lenses. Rental houses wouldn't want to stock separate ones for both cameras. The extra metal wouldn't be in the way. Back focal distance not all that critical....

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
The more I look at it the more I believe it is a lens mount. Guessing at the distance between what would be the flange when mounted on a BNC mount camera and the flange when mounted on an ARRI standard mount camera.

You might be onto something.

I've got a Angenieux 20-120 in BNC out in the shop (it's off Roderick Steven's Ultracam that I believe Steven now has) . I always assumed my adapter was missing the locking collar to use as a BNC adapter but didn't think about its use being to be bolted to the lens itself. I'll try your idea next weekend (I'm headed out of town tomorrow AM and still need to organize for the job).

Obviously being Arri standard and made out of aluminum it needs a rod system that fully supports any heavy lens...like my 20-120 cannon.

• Premium Member

And the way those two bevels are cut in the ARRI standard mount, that is not needed for any ARRI camera with a standard mount, so I suspect it is for clearance on BNC mount cameras. Making me believe it was "permanently" attached to the lens and designed to work with cameras with either mount.

There's one on eBay right now:

Mount like Stephen's on eBay

Not in as nice shape as Stephen's though.

Best,

-Tim

I had an arri standard to BNCR with a number of other BNCR adaptors but unfortunately sold them last year. The Arri standard to BNCR is bottom right in picture. They can be found, trying calling a few rental companies that used to have BNCR cameras as they might have one that they are willing to get rid of. Nick

post-3619-1241601911.jpg

Edited by Nick G Smith

It certainly looks similar to the ones Les makes to PL mount. You can use the old Cooke Pancros on those adaptors as they can rotate in the sleeve but as D Goulder said you won't be able to see the focus marks unless you use a long lens. Stephen's mount looks like the same mount I once had on a Canon K35.

thanks for the lead. I've got a set of primes with Les still, so he might just throw that into the package as well :)

I was looking at using the adapter for the old zeiss 135mm planar f2.1 lens in standard mount instead of getting the PL version at 10 times the price.

thanks, xax