Recent Work

Guest Robert Skates

I thought many of the shots looked quite nice - and I didn't find them too dark. Thought it was more my CRT computer monitor, which can darken video a bit....

I also think it was shot digitally, but don't have enough experience with the different cameras to notice the differences between them. HDV?

Guest Robert Skates
I'd go Cannon, maybe one of the HVs though can't really tell too well off of a flash trailer online.

I think the footage looks very much like all the formats mentioned depending on the scene. It was shot on a RED w/ZEISS super speeds and a Cooke MK 3 zoom for one shot. The aerials were RED w/Angenieux 25-250HR I'm not too crazy about some of the color correction choices. I was not present for any of the correction sessions. The thing I least like about the 4K image is the freedom it gives the Director and Editor to reframe and push in on the image. Good for them I guess, not so good for the DP sometimes.

I spent almost 40 days with the RED in the field last year. Most of those days were as an operator. A dozen or so days were as DP/Operator. I do not own a RED and have no plans to own one. The rental house I work at took delivery of our first RED last may. We now have several. At some point I will post my impressions and opinions about the RED both from the field and the rental house. I am not a RED fanboy nor am I a RED detractor. So I hope my thoughts/reviews (when I get off my ass and write them) prove helpful.

Well done !! Nice work.Lighting, nice shoots, camera movements.

Except for one thing, this is very personal, the father doesn't do it for me, I don't mean as an actor, only his "look" just takes me somewhere else.

Great job !!

Really, shot on the RED? The IMDB really doesn't do it justice.

I agree...the Imdb does not do it justice.

I think you've done a really nice job Robert. The lighting and camera movement does not distract the viewer from the storyline.

The only thing that bugged me the level of the music, its too loud.

But as this is a critique on your work....Congrats