panasonic hdx900

gavrosh haxhihyseni

Hi to everybody

I am an albanian DP and I'd like to know whether I can adopt in a simple way a Canon super 16 mm zoom lens on my Panasonic HDX.

I like so much the canon lens and I think it'll give me an exellent picture quality on Panasonic camera.

greetings

Gavrosh Haxhihyseni

I am an albanian DP and I'd like to know whether I can adopt in a simple way a Canon super 16 mm zoom lens on my Panasonic HDX.

I don't think so. There must be a good reason Canon and Zeiss are mounting their respective digi prime / zoom glass directly on B4 _ the HDX stock mount. Les Bosher ( www.lesbosher.co.uk ) may be able to build one for you, he doesn't seem to stock them.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't think so. There must be a good reason Canon and Zeiss are mounting their respective digi prime / zoom glass directly on B4 _ the HDX stock mount. Les Bosher ( www.lesbosher.co.uk ) may be able to build one for you, he doesn't seem to stock them.

Hi Saul

Thank you for the advise.

I asked the Les Bosher engineers,who say that it is imossible to adopt the Canon zoom lens on HDX900 because the end of the lens hits the filter system of the camera.Then I asked them another question on how to adopt the Nikon lenses on Panasonic HDX900.You see I'm looking for the best picture filmlike quality of my camera.

Best regards

Gavrosh

• 3 months later...

Hi Saul

I asked the Les Bosher engineers,who say that it is imossible to adopt the Canon zoom lens on HDX900 because the end of the lens hits the filter system of the camera.Then I asked them another question on how to adopt the Nikon lenses on Panasonic HDX900.You see I'm looking for the best picture filmlike quality of my camera.

Best regards

Gavrosh

So what were your findings?

I would be interested to learn what you ended up shooting on as I am in a similar situation but may just go with DigiPrimes

or possibly the P&S Pro35 system.

Hi Saul

Best regards

Gavrosh

Without a doubt, you'll get the best quality from 2/3" HD lenses on that camera, that's what they were designed for. Don't forget that S16 and Nikon lenses are designed for a single plane (ie film) rather than the 3 CCDs on the HDX900 and that causes issues, meaning that a lens that looks great on S16 won't neccessarily look good on video.

Steve

• 4 months later...

I did my grad film last year using Panavision's Digital Primos and I was absolutely blown away by the quality of the image - I have yet to try out Digiprimes but I can say I'll definitely have Primos at the top of my list for the next film I get which can afford them. However, if you are looking to buy then you are, of course, out of luck with those!

I have had good results using our Letus Ultimate and B4 Pro 2/3" relay lens with Nikon 35mm SLR primes and HDX900, HPX2700. Less chromatic aberration issues than with many HD ENG zoom lenses, less focus breathing as well. Unlike 2/3" primes, the 35mm DOF adapter will give you the shallow DOF of 35mm Academy size frame.

Downsides would be some light loss, some softening, size and weight, complexity. Our rental clients have been very happy with the results and I have done side by side testing with the P+S Pro35/Zeiss Super Speeds with comparable results.

Jeff Regan

Shooting Star Video

www.ssv.com