My first Super 8 short film

Tom Law

Wow, the red and blue colours are just beautiful. They really just "bleed" out at you!

The zoomed shot with the book cover at the beginning didn't look very crisp but the 200T worked perfectly for the rest.

This short really really represents the character in 8mm film stock that doesn't seem apparent in anything else. Well done!

Edited by Christopher Curry

Wow, the red and blue colours are just beautiful. They really just "bleed" out at you!

The zoomed shot with the book cover at the beginning didn't look very crisp but the 200T worked perfectly for the rest.

This short really really represents the character in 8mm film stock that doesn't seem apparent in anything else. Well done!

Thank you! :)

Hi guys,

After bombarding this forum with questions, i finally shot my film. I used a Braun Nizo s560 camera, and i used kodak 200t film stock. I'd like to hear your thoughts!

http://www.vimeo.com/4565732

Cheers,

Tom

Bravo! Well done. Just curious what were your shooting specs? I see you said you used the 200T. Did you shoot wide open? Did you use extra lights or was it all ambient light? What frame rate? Looked really good. That Vision2 really rocks!

chris

Bravo! Well done. Just curious what were your shooting specs? I see you said you used the 200T. Did you shoot wide open? Did you use extra lights or was it all ambient light? What frame rate? Looked really good. That Vision2 really rocks!

chris

Hi Chris,

I was using only ambient light, i had an external light meter with me, which told to set the aperture at around 2, but i kept it at 1.8, so yes i was shooting wild open. It was difficult shooting in such low light. But the film i was shooing was in a 'dogme' stlye, so no external lights are allowed. I asked the people in soho film labs to push the footage up a stop during the telecine.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well done, Jamie!

This wonderful short has quality - both in the esthetic, artistic sense and the technical. The actors are great, acting very natural and believable, especially the woman. The twist at the end really grabs you - very good directing.

I watched it in full frame mode on my Mac and I was amazed at the sharpness and fine grain. The colours look very good indeed, considering it has been shot under fluorescent lamps in the subway. Did you have to correct the skin tones, etc, a lot during post? It looks just perfect.

If this has been shot full open, you have a very good lens - it is a Schneider Variogon zoom, right?

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to your next project!

Best regards,

Bengt in Stockholm ;)