How much film will a 100' daylight spool hold?

Dennis Goble

Thanks Guys for the replys

I am winding the film on myself so I know I have to load it in total darkness(no wobble).

They should have 110 on them from the factory. There is a lot of space left.

Wow 220'? How thin in that gigabit film Simon?

I know I've got more than 110' so I guess it's not safe???

Thanks Guys for the replys

I am winding the film on myself so I know I have to load it in total darkness(no wobble).

They should have 110 on them from the factory. There is a lot of space left.

I know I've got more than 110' so I guess it's not safe???

You need to wind the film all the way onto another 400' reel first so the edge numbers are correct when you wind it onto the 100' loads, otherwise they will be backwards. Don't go too fast and make certain that you haven't twisted the film so it ends up emulsion out. Don't wind too fast or you may create static sparks.

Thanks but back to the original question. How much can I really get on there? I know it's more than 110 feet.

How much to the edge of the reel?

Guess no one really knows?

I don't know the exact amout, but when you buy 100ft daylight spools you get a little more than 100ft (customer allowance) maybe 110? with a 400ft core you get exactly 400ft. I spooled a 400ft core onto 4 100ft daylight spools once... By the 4th spool, I was only able to fill about 2/3rds with what was left on the core.

I don't know the exact amout, but when you buy 100ft daylight spools you get a little more than 100ft (customer allowance) maybe 110? with a 400ft core you get exactly 400ft. I spooled a 400ft core onto 4 100ft daylight spools once... By the 4th spool, I was only able to fill about 2/3rds with what was left on the core.

You probably loaded 110' each time and by the time you got to the end you had a small 4th roll. The key is to not over fill the 100' load. You can simply place your finger between the edges of the spool and feel how much film you have spooled. If you overload the spool, it may unwind a little and slip off the edge of the spool on the feed. On the take up as the film fills up the spool and it may start taking up on the outside edge of the spool causing your camera to jam. It's best to put 100-110'. Remember also that more film takes up faster as you get to the end. It takes more winds to wind the first ten feet that the last ten feet.

i'm curious, what equipment is used to re-spool film?

2 split reels, one on the left to feed and one on the right to take up. Once you've wound down the 400' you move full reel from the right on put it on your left. Place a 100' spool on the right rewind thread your spool and wind it down until it fills the spool. Don't fill the spool entirely. You should leave about an 1/8th to 1/4 inch of the spool empty. Don't rewind too fast and don't twist the film.

Thanks but back to the original question. How much can I really get on there? I know it's more than 110 feet.

Maybe a local lab would have the answer?

• Premium Member

Gigabitfilm, ISO 40, in 16mm, perforated along one edge .3000" has 0,068 mm or .0027" dry thickness.

You can have nominal portions of 100, 200, 400, and 800 feet on 2" core, emulsion in, winding A or B. The additional length is always 8 feet. Everything else by PM

OK, 115-120. DON'T LOAD TO THE END! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! There is a reason Kodak doesn't load the spools to the edge. Just do what they do and you can't go wrong. There is no need to go to the end. Bad things happen.

Hmmm... I'm kinda weak on this whole good/bad thing. Can you define "bad"?

--

Jim

I just realized there was another thread on this same topic. The film starts to unwind a little and can come off the spool and as it takes ups it can get caught on the outside edge of the spool and the camera can jam. Trust me I've done it. Kodak doesn't go to the edge for a reason and it probably has more to do with light leak if anything but hey don't do it and neither should you.

• Premium Member

Let's not get etchy. I'd simply have appreciated that you wrote film manufacturers. There is not only EKC on this planet but also Fuji Photo Films, Oriental, Agfa-Gevaert, Foma Bohemia, Filmotec, Bergger, Tasma, Lucky, Efke. That is all.

Let's not get etchy. I'd simply have appreciated that you wrote film manufacturers. There is not only EKC on this planet but also Fuji Photo Films, Oriental, Agfa-Gevaert, Foma Bohemia, Filmotec, Bergger, Tasma, Lucky, Efke. That is all.

Etchy's my middle name. I live on the etch. Hey, do all those manufacturers make 50' 16mm daylight spools? I know Fuji does.