Software for camera/lighting layouts

David Kruta

Im trying to find software that will let me come up with a top-down view of camera and lighting setups. Helpful items would be to show dolly track or camera movement. Doesnt have to be 3d or animated or anything, just something simple. Does this exist? Thanks

• Premium Member

I use Frame Forge 3D whenever I am trying to figure out a difficult shot, a visual fx shot or just trying to convey my ideas to others. It is a great tool because you can dial in the exact parameters of your set, the distance from camera to subject and the exact lenses ( and I mean you can specify for example: Panavision Primo 21mm T1.9 S35 ) . There is a depth of field preview on there so you can set your shooting stop and then get an idea what will fall out of focus. It really is cool, but it is time consuming. You couldn't realistically storyboard a show from it without spending a lot of time. It has no lighting support really beyond a very basic key light/fill light ratio I believe.

I have also used Google's Sketch Up a bit. It is easy and fast, you can download a free version but for doing the things we need to do you need to buy the full version which is $500 I believe.

The free version which I have played with had no lighting capabilities.

I have yet to find a good lighting software tool, I remember playing with Wysiwig years ago and at least at that time it was very much a theater/ rock & roll lighting software tool and not very film savvy. Like I said it's been a few years so perhaps that is no longer the case.