Fujinon 14x vs. Canon 14x Manual

Guest Marko Hila

Guest Marko Hila

Has anyone of you guys used both of these lenses? I'm a bit nervous about deciding on one, ?cause they?re too expensive to end up with both of them.

Can anyone advise one over the other based on experience?

I will be using the XL2 for many projects, including full length features and I?m just about to start accessorizing.

Thank you,

Marko

• Premium Member

I own the 14x manual focus lens for my XL1S and love it. No image stablization, so you probably are going to be always using a tripod. But it is the only Pro level lens made for the XL1. Search the archives here, I have written alot about our use of the lens and why we love it.

-Tim Carroll

Guest Marko Hila
I own the 14x manual focus lens for my XL1S and love it.  No image stablization, so you probably are going to be always using a tripod.  But it is the only Pro level lens made for the XL1.  Search the archives here, I have written alot about our use of the lens and why we love it.

-Tim Carroll

Thank you Tim.

I will look up the archives.

Marko

• Premium Member

I don't know about those lenses, but I recently got my XL2 package and much to my dismay, found that the Canon 16x manual lens breathes really badly when you rack focus. The 20x auto lens does not. I'm getting the Cinetech gears for the 20x so I can use their FF rig.

Guest Jon Armstrong

The 14x Canon number was deceidedly better than the standard piece of glass/plastic that the cameras originally came with however, at that time, I don't think that Canon had worked out what they needed to provide simply that the standard was a cheap and nasty consumer number and that people had found a greater use for the cameras than what Canon had originally thought.

Whilst it was possible to fit follow focus rigs and Mette boxes it was not particularly good.

The Fujinon I have never used however, most Fujinon lenses (and this includes their Large Format still lenses) are very forgiving and have a large depth of focus. With a lens that has a nominal focal length of 5mm depth of focus should not be too great.

The 16X manual lens has been designed specifically to provide film like rendering including the ability to pull focus. The circle of confusion is large and looks good. The reult being that the out of focus ares are well blurred.

The lens has also been colimated to provide very nice colour rendering (something that is seldom found on Video including Digi Beta)

The new lens on the XL2 is also a nice unit designed to fil the role that most of the Canon XL are used for. Viz Film look

Happy shooting

PS It doesnt matter how good the lens is or the camera if the lighting aint good

regards Jon