Figuring out which roll is which

Nick Norton

I just got through a demanding weekend shooting a few 100' daylight spools, and i unfortunately forgot to label a few of the daylight boxes after cutting some short ends, etc.

To be 100% sure i don't send the wrong rolls to the lab, how should i go about doing this?

I figure i could put the rolls in my changing tent, cut off a few frames, and check to see if the emulsion is in or out... to see if it went through the camera or not. The footage was shot with an Eclair ACL.

Would the emulsion be on the outside, or inside, after having been run through the camera?

Thanks-

Nicholas

• Premium Member

Inside or outside depends on the camera, how does your camera load?

If single perf, shot rolls will have the perf on the opposite side from unexposed rolls.

YOu really should get in the habit of making notes on the film box. :)

Many folks will use a strip of Tape to label the box, the tape gets stuck on the camera (or magazine as the case may be) and exposure, subject etc is noted as the film is shot, then the same tape goes on the box or can the exposed film is put into.

My fridge still has a roll of e-bay 16mm fuji film which is tail out which I don't know what to do with, I will probably waste it out for the spool one day, but it may have someone missing shots from thir projewct, they sold it to me as blank film..

I just got through a demanding weekend shooting a few 100' daylight spools, and i unfortunately forgot to label a few of the daylight boxes after cutting some short ends, etc.

To be 100% sure i don't send the wrong rolls to the lab, how should i go about doing this?

I figure i could put the rolls in my changing tent, cut off a few frames, and check to see if the emulsion is in or out... to see if it went through the camera or not. The footage was shot with an Eclair ACL.

Would the emulsion be on the outside, or inside, after having been run through the camera?

Thanks-

Nicholas

Yes, Emulsion Out on an roll shot on an ACL. In fact, I make a point of mentioning that (now) odd fact on my rolls when I send them to the lab: E.O.

As for your mishap, the good thing is it probably won't happen to you twice ! I for one once had strange and marvelous double exposures from running the same roll of double perf film through a Bolex -- unexpected, to say the least, and double the waste... or is it?

B.