Re-celling CP-16R Batteries

Andrew Bassett

I just got my hands on an old CP16R but the batteries need to be re-celled. One of the back doors to a battery was loose so i preyed it off and poked around. It looks straight forward. I saw 16 cells that looked to be rechargeable AA batteries that were hooked up and provided a positive and a negative. If I did this myself would I use rechargeable Nicads? The batter pack says that it is 20 volts. If anyone has experience with this please let me know. Thanks!

• Premium Member

Andrew. You've got the right idea. Now you've just got to implement it. You might want to get Radio Shack nickel-metal-hydride rechargeables. Ther're rated at 1800 mAh versus the nicad at around 600 mAh. It's a ball-breaking, painstaking job......but somebody's got to do it !

Andrew. You've got the right idea. Now you've just got to implement it. You might want to get Radio Shack nickel-metal-hydride rechargeables. Ther're rated at 1800 mAh versus the nicad at around 600 mAh. It's a ball-breaking, painstaking job......but somebody's got to do it !

Hi Andrew,

Save yourself some trouble and order two stacks of 8 AAs from Digi-Key. They'll be spot welded and you'll only have three solder joints to do.

I would stick to nicads, especially if you have the original CP chargers designed for nicads. A properly running camera draws 500mA. A new battery will last you from forty minutes to one hour. That's 1600 to 2400 feet of film. That should be plenty.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Thanks for the replies! That was a great help!

Hi Andrew,

Save yourself some trouble and order two stacks of 8 AAs from Digi-Key. They'll be spot welded and you'll only have three solder joints to do.

I would stick to nicads, especially if you have the original CP chargers designed for nicads. A properly running camera draws 500mA. A new battery will last you from forty minutes to one hour. That's 1600 to 2400 feet of film. That should be plenty.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

• 4 months later...

I agree with Jean. The only thing I would suggest is if you do decide to build your own pack becaaue you dont want to use nicads then always source batteries and other bits from electronic supply stores. the prices are way less than radio shack will ever be and youll bet more power. the AA's i recently bought were less money than a consumer store like radio shack and were 2200 mAh. these stores also sometimes have battery stacks at good prices as do some radio control hobby stores. i remember a couple of years ago i made a battery pack with a pack o batteries i bought from one for a beaulieu 4008 for less cash and more milliamps than buying the parts individually!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

It is not a good idea to re-cell using a Ni-MH battery in a Ni-Cd battery pack. It will over heat using the Ni-CD charger because it does not know when to shut off when the cell is fully charged. Heat from charging OR discharging kills any battery.

It is also not a good idea to buy a bunch of cells and solder them together. Every solder joint adds resistance in the electrical circuit. This causes the batteries to not be able to give their full voltage to your camera or light.

If you try to solder on top or bottom of the battery cell itself, it will overheat it and most likely damage it beyond repair. The correct way to solder on a battery is to spot weld a tab on and then solder onto the tab.

If you put cheap cells in your battery pack, they will give out early in your shoot and not last through the years like a quality cell such as Sanyo, FDK, Saft, or Panasonic.

If you would like a professional to re-cell your battery using high quality cells and welded tabs, please think of us at Battery Pack Rebuilder.

David Crabtree

Battery Pack Rebulder

• 2 months later...

It is not a good idea to re-cell using a Ni-MH battery in a Ni-Cd battery pack. It will over heat using the Ni-CD charger because it does not know when to shut off when the cell is fully charged. Heat from charging OR discharging kills any battery.

It is also not a good idea to buy a bunch of cells and solder them together. Every solder joint adds resistance in the electrical circuit. This causes the batteries to not be able to give their full voltage to your camera or light.

If you try to solder on top or bottom of the battery cell itself, it will overheat it and most likely damage it beyond repair. The correct way to solder on a battery is to spot weld a tab on and then solder onto the tab.

If you put cheap cells in your battery pack, they will give out early in your shoot and not last through the years like a quality cell such as Sanyo, FDK, Saft, or Panasonic.

If you would like a professional to re-cell your battery using high quality cells and welded tabs, please think of us at Battery Pack Rebuilder.

David Crabtree

Battery Pack Rebulder

We are happy to announce that we have changed our name and have moved our website to http://cinebatteryrecell.com

Please come visit us when you need any of your batteries re-celled.

Thanks

David Crabtree

Cine Battery Re-cell