Arri 2c HS input voltage

Kristian Schumacher

Hi,

I have played a little with my new 2c, and will hopefully do a high speed test soon. I tried hooking up the motor to a couple of different battery solutions. If I remember correctly, my last test was 30v which gave a reading a little over 50fps on the tachometer. So maybe 36v will give me top speed?

Also, the adjustment dial on the motor doesn´t do that much. It will speed up and slow down a little depending on the setting, but I would really like to be able to adjust from say 24-25-ish all the way to 80 fps without changing to a different battery pack.

Any ideas appreciated as always,

Kristian

Hi,

I have played a little with my new 2c, and will hopefully do a high speed test soon. I tried hooking up the motor to a couple of different battery solutions. If I remember correctly, my last test was 30v which gave a reading a little over 50fps on the tachometer. So maybe 36v will give me top speed?

Kristian

The variable and constant speed motors for the 2C required 16 volts. Catalog lists the High Speed Motor at 32 volts.

Charlie

The variable and constant speed motors for the 2C required 16 volts. Catalog lists the High Speed Motor at 32 volts.

Charlie

Does anyone know what happens if you run the 2C with a 12V battery and the variable speed motor? Is 24FPS still achievable? 32 FPS?

Charlie

Thanks for that Charlie,

I will give it another go. I just don´t want to fry the thing ;-) So I will keep 32v in mind when I fire it up again.

Kristian

• Premium Member

If the adjustment dial is on the motor it isn't a high speed motor. The HS motor has a separate, round rheostat housing with a 50 (or so) watt rheostat inside. I most definitely would NOT put 32 volts on a standard variable speed motor. Even if it did run 80 fps, I suspect it would be for a few seconds followed by a big puff of smoke coming out of the motor. :(

Thanks for that Charlie,

I will give it another go. I just don´t want to fry the thing ;-) So I will keep 32v in mind when I fire it up again.

Kristian

Kristian,

Does this look like your 80fps 2C?

2C002.jpg

Hal Smith made a good point about the different motors. However, the picture shows that the 80-fps motor has a different cable connector than the standard 16 volt variable speed motor.

Make sure your 30-32 volt supply can handle a high current draw, as that may be the reason you couldn't get much higher than 50-fps at 30 volts. Another thing to consider is, the motor may need a cleaning / lube of the bearings and possibly new brushes.

Let us know if you can get it running at 80-fps.

Charlie

Other 2C models:

2C001.jpg

Thanks guys,

My motor has a dial that goes from 1-9 at the bottom and no external controller. It looks identical to the motor in the above picture (model 35 cb) So this is not the high speed motor? The camera has the high speed gate and tachometer to 80fps.

Kristian

• Premium Member
So this is not the high speed motor?

Correct, it's not the high speed motor. Arri model II motors are very easy to interchange, and they made several different ones. So, your camera has a different motor than came with it from the factory, as do a great many model II's.

-- J.S.